Resorts & Lodging
Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Visiting Duluth middle of August. Shore fishing?
Hi guys, my wife and I are visiting family in the area, and staying at Lakehead Boat Basin in an RV. I have equipment for shore fishing Alaska, and was wondering what possibilities there are for shore fishing in the Duluth area.

I have everything but a boat, a 14' surf casting rod, some huge spoons and spinners, massive hooks and weights to fish the bottom, etc. My big water fishing is limited to Halibut and Cod in Alaska, some shore and some boat fishing.

Any insight you guys can offer an ultralight spincaster from Colorado would be awesome.

Thanks in advance! Now I'm off to search the forums!

Cody

Posted on: 2016/7/28 17:42
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Visiting Duluth middle of August. Shore fishing?
LSF Member
Well if you're use to fishing small streams and rivers your in luck and leave that heavy gear in the RV. Almost all of the streams in Duluth and up the north shore have awesome stream trout fishing. Light spinning gear should be all you need to find yourself a good number of brook trout and some rainbow's. But if all you have is the heavy stuff, fish the mouths of the rivers and streams. Big spoons and plugs might find you some fish.

Also the St. Louis river has some great shore fishing for all kinds of fish.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/7/29 1:57

LSF Member
From Couple of harbors
I would try and book a mid week trip with http://www.fishofthegitch.com. $350 for a morning of fishing on the big water is a pretty damn good deal. You'll atleast be able to put some fish on the grill and learn about the lake. Plus the wife if she isn't into fishing can see the town from the lake.

Otherwise your going to be looking at fishing the barkers island pier for inland fish, or maybe you'll get lucky and find a laker off the breakwall in two harbors or mcquade's but that's a half hour drive or so from Duluth. I would stress the maybe and the lucky pretty emphatically though.

Posted on: 2016/7/29 7:19

Quote:

jmatile wrote:
Well if you're use to fishing small streams and rivers your in luck and leave that heavy gear in the RV. Almost all of the streams in Duluth and up the north shore have awesome stream trout fishing. Light spinning gear should be all you need to find yourself a good number of brook trout and some rainbow's. But if all you have is the heavy stuff, fish the mouths of the rivers and streams. Big spoons and plugs might find you some fish.

Also the St. Louis river has some great shore fishing for all kinds of fish.

Good luck!

I am planning to hit a few streams around Duluth a couple mornings, but I can fish streams any day of the week where I live, so I am really hoping for something from the lake. I will have both light and heavy with me, so I should be good either way. Thanks for the info jmatile!

Quote:

ChrisWallace wrote:
I would try and book a mid week trip with http://www.fishofthegitch.com. $350 for a morning of fishing on the big water is a pretty damn good deal. You'll atleast be able to put some fish on the grill and learn about the lake. Plus the wife if she isn't into fishing can see the town from the lake.

Otherwise your going to be looking at fishing the barkers island pier for inland fish, or maybe you'll get lucky and find a laker off the breakwall in two harbors or mcquade's but that's a half hour drive or so from Duluth. I would stress the maybe and the lucky pretty emphatically though.

We looked into booking a charter, I just can't swallow $350 for a half day. It's probably a great deal, just cant swing it on this trip.

I am hoping I can toss something into the water near the RV place, or at least within a bike riding distance of the RV place. I don't know what the water temps are like, but maybe a worm several feet under a bobber? I have some spoons and poppers to try too.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Posted on: 2016/7/29 18:27

LSF Member
I would think the lake run browns and salmon would be staging around creek mouths at this time (too early for steel, I have to imagine), though it has been a pretty hot summer. My first shore idea would be to tie a heavy spoon onto some braid or Nanofil (for casting distance) and chuck it out as far as you can around the creek mouths.

Posted on: 2016/8/3 12:36

LSF Member
From Duluth
You might catch Sewer Trout in the Harbor...

Posted on: 2016/8/3 14:20

Rick

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page