Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Big Trout advice..
Will be on Big Trout getting married in August, and might try to sneak in some fishing. Any tips or tricks for Big Trout? Walleyes, Trout or Panfish? Thanks much for any advice. For the fishing that is.. LOL!!

Posted on: 2016/7/31 22:52
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Big Trout advice..
LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
Lowlight periods, night fishing, and or fish deep the water is super clear....it's a little easier fishing if u go to whitefish and if ya go there from big trout u won't have to travel that far on whitefish to find fish (the water isn't so clear)

Posted on: 2016/8/1 7:23

LSF Member
Rock Bass paradise! I've caught some dinner plate sized rockies out of there. There's a weed flat right inside the channel going out to whitefish, have always caught a mix of everything out of there.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 19:17

LSF Member
From depths of the unknown
The fishing can be difficult out there but can be very rewarding at the same time. Big fish on the chain and Big Trout has some monsters in it. The easiest way to fish out there is to troll troll troll and don't be afraid to go over deep water as that is where most of the fish are currently. If you have a graph go over the deepest parts and you will be amazed with the marks you will find. You can catch them at all times of the day on the chain but you have to find places that aren't being buzzed by boat traffic. Good Luck and congrats on the upcoming mistake I mean marriage (I am happily married but damn it has cut into my fishing time!!)haha

Posted on: 2016/8/4 14:17

LSF Member
From Minnetonka
I fish big trout a lot and I mean a lot. Its one of my go to places in the summer because of the in-laws having a nice new cabin there.

This summer daytime has produced the best fish for me. I'm talking 10am to 5pm. Lowlight for some reason has not produced much at all. Which is the total opposite of last year.

Fish I have been catching have ranged from 90 FOW to 120 FOW. There are marks everywhere and if you go awhile without catching something you start to question yourself. Don't worry about it, its how lake trout fishing is.

When I fish the 90-120 FOW range I keep my baits at 65 to 90 FOW trolling around 2 to 2.5 miles per hour. Neon spoons have produced best so far this year where as last year, plain silver was the only thing they bit on.

If you don't have dipsy divers, leadcore lines or downriggers its probably not even worth trying.

That lake has a ton of weeds kicked up in it right now and depending how many lines you are running it can be a full time job reeling in 300 feet of line, checking for weeds and then moving onto the next. Perfect fishing for me because I am busy whether I am catching fish or not.

Congrats on getting married!

Posted on: 2016/8/4 15:29

LSF Member
From depths of the unknown
thedude- Are you catching many Trout on BT or are you catching a few walleye, trout, and northern? Pretty crazy the amount of fish one can mark over the deep areas of the chain currently...makes you wonder what they all could be!! I was out on Sunday nite and we started on LWF and caught 2 walleye n a northern and then trolled through BT to the landing and we had 2 hits but couldn't connect. Another great evening on the Chain!! Take care- OZ

Posted on: 2016/8/9 13:24

LSF Member
From Minnetonka
When I fish BT all I fish for is lakers. If I want walleyes I head to Whitefish.

There are a ton of marks when trolling out there. you will see smaller marks higher up with the larger ones below. normally there are birds on top of the water - loons... I think this is the trout pushing up the cisco.. ive had pretty good luck finding these patches and going right through them.

I will be up this labor day weekend if you want to head out, just send me a PM.

Posted on: 2016/8/31 11:06

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page