Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

How do you all train your puppy to find sheds
LSF Member
From Mora
Its been 4 yrs since I had a dog so I decided it was time for a puppy so I got a golden retriever yellow lab mix that I would like to train to find shed antlers. My last dog I trained to find sheds and she was really good at it and it didnt seem like I had a hard time training her either but, that was a number of years ago. I gave my pup acouple of small antlers as soon as I got her which was acouple of weeks ago. I was hoping she would really take to them as her chew toys but, that hasnt seemed to happen yet. I kind of gotten her to play fetch with them but still doesnt seem to have a whole lot of interest. Im hoping she just to young yet. What have some of you done to get your dog interested in antlers?

Posted on: 2016/8/15 20:14

Re: How do you all train your puppy to find sheds
Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Don't let your dog have antlers all the time, they get old. It's just like if you get to eat your favorite meal every night for supper, you get sick of it.
When you go out and train keep it short, simple, and FUN. When she finds it make her think she found you a bar of gold. You might get a few weird looks from your neighbors but she will know she did REALLY good when she found it and will want to find another one. As a reward for finding it you can trade her for her favorite ball, bumper, kong, toy, or treat. Again, don't let her have that "reward" very often because it's just that, a reward.
When you want her find sheds give a command before searching like "search." That way she'll know it's time to look for antlers and not go for stroll in the woods or look for birds.
Another thought is, do you want her bringing it back to you or just find it. Obviously if you want her to bring it back to you don't "pay" or "reward" her until she's in a heel position or delivers it to hand or whatever you decide. If you want her to find it and mark it have her sit or down by it until you go over to her and then "pay" or "reward" her when you pick it up.
Like I said, start slow and keep it fun. Make her think it's a big game of hide and seek. I hope this helps a little, please ask if you're confused or have any questions. I'm sure others will chime in also with what works for them.
You should post a pick of the young lass! What's her name and how old is she?

Posted on: 2016/8/15 23:06

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Mora
Her name is brandi and is coming up on 10 weeks old now. These pictures are a week or two old so she actually looks different already amazing how fast they grow.

Attach file:

jpg  20160730_192256.jpg (612.98 KB)
9711_57b371be78e50.jpg 2576X1932 px

jpg  20160803_164234.jpg (948.12 KB)
9711_57b371ce6af6d.jpg 2576X1932 px

Posted on: 2016/8/16 15:06

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
What a cutie, thanks for sharing!

Don't get too fixated on training yet. It's never too early to start but let her be a pup also.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 1:03

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
From Mora
Quote:

freighttrain50 wrote:
What a cutie, thanks for sharing!

Don't get too fixated on training yet. It's never too early to start but let her be a pup also.

Oh trust me she all puppy thats for sure. A little S H I T actually LOL

Posted on: 2016/8/17 13:21

Hello, guys!
If you want to make your pet a super pet, this source may be very helpful to understand how to train them better http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/useful-tips-for-everyone-how-to-train-your-puppy

Posted on: 2016/9/12 9:55

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page