LSF Member
From On the fish!
At what age do you start using them on a new pup

Posted on: 2016/8/16 15:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: E collar
LSF Member
From North Central MN
Literally when they have been completely trained for obedience. Not before. IMHO

They absolutely need to know what the commands means and that they need to obey. Once they age and realize you can't run as fast as they can then its time to introduce an electric leash. IMHO For my labs and my setter its been around the 1-2yr mark.

Posted on: 2016/8/16 16:59

LSF Member
From Secret X
What Kato said, whenever your pup understands the commands you are giving. I had one on mine at 6 months. Best tool in the world. When collar is on he knows it's game time, when I pull it out of the cupboard he gets so excited cause he knows fun time is coming!

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:07

LSF Member
From Secret X
I used to put it on a lot with no shock early to kind of get him used to it, or not correlate shock with collar. .. but didn't really stick to it after 1 year. He knows when is on and is a completely different dog. Now I tell people I got to put his ears on lol

Posted on: 2016/8/16 17:12

LSF Member
From On the fish!
Good info guys got one too late for my first lab and never needed it for number two but she is getting old and it's almost time for number three

Posted on: 2016/8/16 18:27

LSF Member
From North Central MN
I don't know if its ever to late, unless in the last couple of years of life, as long as they know what your command means and that they need to obey. When you start to train with the electric leash let them wear it for a several weeks. Then the first time you plan to go live, set the dog up to fail. Meaning if your dog knows what "stay" means and does it some times but not always, give the command stay and watch him out the corner of your eye and the very second he moves give him a hit, tell him the command again and put him back in the exact spot. By setting him up to fail you are giving the correction exactly at the right time. I also try and not let the dog see me with the controller in my hand. I have it on a belt and wear it in the small of my back instead of the side or front so all the dog sees is me standing somewhere with my hand behind my back. Hope this helps. These suggestions are just what has worked for me. I am not a professional trainer. There are a ton of books out there on the subject and I would suggest reading a couple before you start. Good Luck!

Posted on: 2016/8/17 6:22

LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
i just put one on my lab when he was 4 or so just to help with the come back call when a distraction occured eg. chasing flying hens or missed birds. It was crazy how easy it was to introduce him and how well he responds to it.

Posted on: 2016/8/17 12:22

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Throw it on when you go on walks or are playing just so they start getting used to it. It will associate it with doing something fun and not a punishment. Like others have said dont start using it until they know their stuff. Also keep using it their whole life. If you start being lenient they will take every inch and more and will not like having to wear it again and sometimes will shut down on you when put it back on them.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 6:25

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

Anonymous
We started our vizsla on one at about 6 months. We got one that vibrates and shocks, separately, and has a half mile range. You can use them for positive reinforcement. Worth every penny! Plus when he has it on and its not activated he listens and act much better. We don't use it at obedience school. We are shooting for the good canine citizenship award.

Posted on: 2016/8/18 7:55

LSF Member
From Linwood, MN
I stared mine about that 6-9 months age after he has been trained on the invisible fence. It is pretty funny that he knows the "yard" collar vs. the I'm going for a walk or hunting collar....Also, the e-collar makes it nice when they are trained both on invisible fence and the hunting collar because now if I bring him to someone else's house without fencing, I can just walk the perimeter with him and give him a few beeps( no shock) and he understands the boundaries. If you do it right you should rarely ever have to shock the dog...

Posted on: 2016/8/18 14:41

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page