Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Finding a field early goose
LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
Snow has some good points.

If you're still set on finding a field, go with a smaller group of guys and decoys. If you tell a guy it will be 4-5 of you hunting and you got a trailer full of decoys your gonna drive in the field, that could turn some guys off. Maybe once you get a place, you can add more guys and decoys. Also offer them help such as bailing hay or something like that. That can show them your not just about having money to throw at them and killing all the geese you see! Maybe remove the 'Wack em and Stack' stickers too from the truck.

Option B:
I gave up on fields around here too when I hunted geese. I switched to hunting the bigger lakes like Pelican and such for the early season. Sell a couple dozen of those field decoys and buy 2 dozen of the best floaters you can find, such as Flocked BigFoot or GHG ones. Sure your gonna strike out some days, but you will also have great days too and you don't need permission to hunt there! Here, you will be after the single and doubles that are coming back from the fields. You will still get some flocks in also. Just like ducks, it will take some time figure out where they want to be on the lake, not all parts of it attract the geese. Oh, and no I don't consider this hunting the roost, I'm talking about bigger lakes, not 20-40 acre potholes. I know someone will chime in about that!!

Good luck and hope you get some geese!

Posted on: 2016/9/1 13:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Secret X
There is 3 maybe 4 in our group, and yes spoonbill water is our back up plan or plan "z" lol. I know my dog wants me to strike out on fields because then he can come with water hunting.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 15:09

LSF Member
From Secret X
All of us are in our 30s and have hunted waterfowl since we could.

Posted on: 2016/9/1 15:11

LSF Member
From Secret X
On my way out to drive til the sunsets, please let the goose gods be friendly

Posted on: 2016/9/1 18:14

LSF Member
From Secret X
Got a call back on a letter I dropped in a mailbox. No honks in the field tonight hope to bring a couple groups down in the am.

Posted on: 2016/9/2 19:44

LSF Member
From In a van down by the river
Good luck! Post a report in the morning, geese activity was low tonight. Gonna be traffic birds tomorrow.

Posted on: 2016/9/2 22:12

LSF Member
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
Got a call back on a letter I dropped in a mailbox. No honks in the field tonight hope to bring a couple groups down in the am.

Not trying to bust your balls just giving you a heads up.

If you just dropped a letter in a mailbox instead of mailing it be very careful. This is illegal and can get you in some hot water. Most people would never make a big deal about it but I imagine if you dropped one into someone's box who was an anti they would make a stink about it.

Posted on: 2016/9/4 9:07

LSF Member
From In a van down by the river
Not a whole lot of bird activity. Seems like they know where they are safe, did manage permission on a few private properties that will be good for ducks. 4 birds yesterday, 1 today, need to find a fresh field. Covered Hugo pretty well, not much going on out there.

Posted on: 2016/9/4 11:24

LSF Member
From central mn
Goose,a lucky group hunted that field in hugo on hwy61/130th,pretty sure they hit the jackpot as that field was loaded every day since the grain came down,they really didn't have the best setup as they sat on the 1st tree line with a handful of dekes just a few yards off the tree's.but whatever they did no more geese in that field sunday/Monday.

Last year a group got busted for hunting that field w/o permission,just rolled in with decoy trailer in tow and setup,can't imagine having the balls to pull that off.

PS~ Were you guyz driving a ford excursion
?

Posted on: 2016/9/6 12:03

LSF Member
From Secret X
Did great Saturday 18 we got trying to upload pics but not working. Hunted just north of cambridge

Posted on: 2016/9/6 16:30

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page