Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Hand gun courses
LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
I would like to find an instructor/gun shop that we can get my wife going with a hand gun. She hunts with shot guns/rifles and is more then efficient with them but for the most part has never shot/handled hand guns, she wants to get her permit to carry but I think it wise she knows how to handle/work one first. And as stupid as this may sound she would be more comfortable with a female instructor, any advice??

Posted on: 2016/9/12 8:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Hand gun courses
LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Ladies specific courses are a specialty that pop up, but seldom stay active for long.

I would recommend looking towards a group like The Well Armed Woman: https://www.facebook.com/TWAW.TwinCitiesNW/?fref=ts

Or, "A Girl with a Gun" at Osseo Gun Club: https://www.osseogunclub.com/a-girl---a-gun-.html

Bill's does have a LADIES' BASIC HANDGUN FAMILIARIZATION COURSE, that will run you $100 (male instructor).

My advice, as a guy with a wife who shoots frequently, is to lean towards TWAW, or GWAG, and steer her towards a more social club atmospere these Women specific events are generally held monthly, and are a great venue to gain some real experience with new guns, and build a social network around like minded folks.

Also with a wife that has attended quite a few events, don't assume that a female instructor is better. My wife thought she's prefer a female instructor, but found that many women are more brusque than most male instructors. She now has reached a competency level that she prefers events from great teachers first and foremost. Gender isn't a qualifier at all.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 11:09

LSF Member
From central mn
Loopy,

FYI,Metro gun club has a ladies night every month (ladies only) both shotgun and hand gun training.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 14:40

LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
Thanks JJ, she is going to sign up for a class in Rogers, unfortuneatly she has commitments that won't allow her to do the next class but no big deal.

Quote:

JJ wrote:
Ladies specific courses are a specialty that pop up, but seldom stay active for long.

I would recommend looking towards a group like The Well Armed Woman: https://www.facebook.com/TWAW.TwinCitiesNW/?fref=ts

Or, "A Girl with a Gun" at Osseo Gun Club: https://www.osseogunclub.com/a-girl---a-gun-.html

Bill's does have a LADIES' BASIC HANDGUN FAMILIARIZATION COURSE, that will run you $100 (male instructor).

My advice, as a guy with a wife who shoots frequently, is to lean towards TWAW, or GWAG, and steer her towards a more social club atmospere these Women specific events are generally held monthly, and are a great venue to gain some real experience with new guns, and build a social network around like minded folks.

Also with a wife that has attended quite a few events, don't assume that a female instructor is better. My wife thought she's prefer a female instructor, but found that many women are more brusque than most male instructors. She now has reached a competency level that she prefers events from great teachers first and foremost. Gender isn't a qualifier at all.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 7:08

LSF Member
From Cedar/Backus
We shot leagues there a couple years ago, she is very good with a shotgun. She was actually the highest scoring female on the league!!! She has also been deer hunting and has zero problem dropping a deer at 100 yards.
We have seen the ladies days there, a great idea but she needs specific help with hand guns due too her never being around them her whole life.

Quote:

snow wrote:
Loopy,

FYI,Metro gun club has a ladies night every month (ladies only) both shotgun and hand gun training.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 8:41

LSF Member
From central mn
Hand gun training is on the agenda for ladies day Loopy.Log on to there website for more details.

Posted on: 2016/9/13 14:09

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page