Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Whitefish Walleye
LSF Member
From Blaine
I have a chance to head out of town this weekend, Friday and Saturday. I'll be up in the brainerd area and we are planning to fish Gull or Whitefish. I've never been up in this area fishing before... anything worth noting on these lakes? This time of year would the walleye typically be holding deep water still, or do they start to come up shallower? Are they on leeches, crawlers, chubs?

No hot spots requested, just general advice.

Posted on: 2016/9/19 15:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Whitefish Walleye
LSF Member
I haven't been up since labor day weekend, but last time I was up I marked most of them around 17 fow on Whitefish. They were sitting just off the weedlines and Redtails seemed to be working best. Water temps have dropped since then so they may have moved into their fall patterns, hopefully this gives you a decent starting point.

Posted on: 2016/9/20 9:02

LSF Member
From Blaine
We ended up fishing big Trout the majority of the day. We snuck through to whitefish for a short time but went back to big Trout.

We thought we might have a great day since we launched the boat at 7 am and at 7:20 landed a healthy 21" walleye in 32 fow. Less than 10 minutes later we pulled in a 2nd Walleye, though only 14 inches.

Unfortunately, then it all changed. Landed a couple bass and a couple pike and that was that. No more eyes all day. We marked plenty, and had some nibbles and bite offs, but never another walleye. We left the lake at 7pm.

We threw everything at them including leeches, crawlers, red tails, jig n raps, ripn raps, crank baits, jigs. Nothing.

Still a fun day on the water, but sure would have enjoyed a few more fish.

Posted on: 2016/9/25 8:11

LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
That's pretty typical on big trout...with the clear water I've done my best before light and just after then in the evening and after dark...whitefish seems to be a little better day bite lake but yet it's the best early and late

Posted on: 2016/9/25 9:28

LSF Member
From Blaine
Quote:

TW wrote:
That's pretty typical on big trout...with the clear water I've done my best before light and just after then in the evening and after dark...whitefish seems to be a little better day bite lake but yet it's the best early and late

We figured if we could have stayed after dark we could have picked some more up. Unfortunately the rain was coming and we didn't feel like getting soaked

Posted on: 2016/9/25 11:50

LSF Member
I was on big trout on Friday. We weren't targeting walleye, but the fishing was uncharacteristicly slow. Only a couple bass and pike. Not even the rock bass were biting!

Posted on: 2016/9/25 16:03

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page