Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Walleye pointers?
Hello all, I'm heading up to Leech this weekend (sorry for the late notice) and wondering if anyone can offer up any walleye advice. I'll be up with my father-in-law and would love to get him some fish. We've been to the lake twice for opener but only briefly and we struggled to catch fish.

From reading posts, sounds like a jig and minnow is tried and true in the fall. My father-in-law loves to pull lindy's though, is this an option this time of year or will jig n minnow out produce a Lindy? Also, any cover/structure you recommend focusing on? We are staying on Walker Bay, near Kabekona Bay...don't need exact locations but, in your opinion, would we be better off heading to the main lake or does walker bay offer plenty of opportunity that we can stay close?

Regardless of fishing, we are looking forward to checking the lake out in the fall! Thanks in advance for any pointers!!

Posted on: 2016/9/20 22:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Walleye pointers?
LSF Member
From North Central MN
First part of the advise is bring good rain gear. Looks like it might be wet this weekend.

Not sure of the current water temp but was 67 last weekend from a couple of reports that I had read so this weekend it should be even better with maybe temps in the low 60's. I would first head to wind driven points with Jig/minnow. Most colors of jigs work but our number one color is chartreuse by far. Fish anywhere from 2' of water out to 20+ until you mark fish. Lindy's with long snell and crawlers have also worked for me. Slip bobbers in the shallows with a crawler or minnow can be very good also. I fish the main lake most of the time but Walker bay can be very good at times. Finally check with the guys in the fishing dpt at Reeds and also the bait shops they should be able to get pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck!

Posted on: 2016/9/21 7:04

Does the minnow type make much of a difference in the fall?

Posted on: 2016/9/21 15:20

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Spot tail shiners seem to be the ticket on Leech .... at least that whats available and seems to work well. Big red tails or creek chubs work well for rigging come fall. IMHO

Posted on: 2016/9/21 19:47

Thanks Kato! I'll be sure to bring lots of minnows and crawlers...and my rain gear. I'll be throwing a lot of artificials, too so hopefully we can find what's working between the two us. Thanks again!!

Posted on: 2016/9/21 22:12

LSF Member
From Maple grove
How long are you guys thinking before turn over will happen and fish will scatter?

Posted on: 2016/9/22 8:07

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Although live bait and jig may be tried and true there is more than one way to catch walleyes on leech in the fall. Crankbait casting or trolling especially in the evenings. Pitching jigging raps to wind blown points. Leech has a good population of walleye and they should be hungry this time of year if you throw enough different presentations at them you should find some fish. Man I love fall fishing, now we just need this rain to stop.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 10:37

LSF Member
Every time I see "Walleye Pointers" my cartoon bubble has a dog in the front of the boat, locked up on point.

Posted on: 2016/9/22 11:44

Haha, paints a funny picture, Walleyebuster.

Ripjiggen - I like your style. I will definitely be pitching some jigging raps and throwing some swimbaits. I'll be sure to try some cranks, too.

Thanks for the pointers, everyone. Hopefully we find them hungry!

Posted on: 2016/9/22 21:50

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page