Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Grouse
LSF Member
Heading North this weekend around the Duluth area to try. We are going to sight in the deer rifles. I am going to do a little grousing. I will try to give a report next week.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From SE Metro
Fritz let us know how things go we are doing the exact same but next weekend. Friends and relatives have been seeing some grouse. I will also report back.

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:40

LSF Member
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
Crap man that sucks smallmouth. Any tips on what he was digging in before he met the pork? Buddies dog last year was digging around a stump And got messed up by one . Just curious thanks. ... terrible fear of mine right behind a Frickin trap

Couldn't see the whole thing happen but it's the second time it's happened to him and he obviously learned his lesson. Between them and the skunks...

Posted on: 2016/9/29 20:49

LSF Member
From Minnetonka
Popped a pair on opening weekend. It was so thick shooting on the flush would be very difficult. Early season I stalk/walk the trails and just keep my eyes on the ground looking for movement. If you see them before they flush, killing them as they bounce on the ground is easy. Downside is you can't do this technique with a dog..

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3247.JPG (3,082.12 KB)
11178_57edcc5539ab4.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 2016/9/29 21:22

LSF Member
From Thief River Falls
We walked a couple miles last night. We were going down a trail that was very thick cover, even on the trail. We got down the trail about 200 yards just watching and listening on the ground for ruffed grouse... then a woodcock flushed and I wasn't ready so he got away before I could get a shot. So then I made sure I had my gun in a position where I could get it to my shoulder quickly. We walked about 75 yards further and flushed another one that flew straight away down the trail and I dropped that one.

We then proceeded to drive down a small trail with the vehicle through the woods just looking for grouse. finally spotted a grouse just off the road and he walked into the thickest brush I think I have ever seen. Got out and tried to see him in there but couldn't find him so I just started walking through it hoping to hear him walking in the leaves so I would have an idea where to look or just to flush it up. walked in there a little ways and heard it start clucking so I knew it was going to flush so I got ready. It flushed and of course it flew the only way that i couldn't possibly get a shot so it got away.

It was such a nice night last night i expected to see a few more birds especially since the leaves have fallen enough on the underbrush to see in there pretty good. Maybe i just haven't found where they like to be yet. We went through stands of aspen and oak, the woodcocks were in the aspen along a swamp and the ruffed grouse we saw was in the oak trees where there was thick underbrush.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 6:44

LSF Member
From Champlin/Mahtowa mn
Going up to the moose lake area this weekend use to have a cabin up there and always have gotten grouse only going up for the day though . Just me no dog hopefully I can get one or two grouse or even a woodcock would be nice. Good luck to who evers hunting this weekend.

Posted on: 2016/9/30 13:50

LSF Member
Well the rifle was dialed in but the grouse hunting wasn't as good. We had friends come up to shoot, so i took a little while longer. We went out for a late afternoon walk and didn't even get a single flush. We had a dog with and no luck. I hope pheasant opener is a little better. The weather was fantastic.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 12:24

LSF Member
From Champlin/Mahtowa mn
Went out all day Saturday flushed only one bird. Shot at it twice and missed still to many leaves on the trees two weeks from now will be perfect.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 12:28

LSF Member
Went Sat in the Askov area. Went to an area that produced big time for me last year nothing. Switched it up to a new area flushed 5 only was able to get a good shot on one of the flushes. Was flushing in thick patches of new growth and small aspen trees. Most flushed while I was making my way through really thick stuff so couldn't swing the gun.

Cover needs to come down a bit more should be good in the coming weeks. While my dog hunts close I still need less cover out there as he is a lab and flushes them when he finds them.

I would say the numbers are definitely up from What I seen and heard from my other hunting buddies.

Posted on: 2016/10/2 21:23

LSF Member
Quote:

Oldstar wrote:
I got 3 near Moose Lake this weekend. Seen about a dozen. Very thick but there are defiantly birds around this year. Should be near the top of the cycle.
Should be 3 years or so from the top

Posted on: 2016/10/2 21:37

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page