Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Collar correcting
LSF Member
From Secret X
My bird dog is 5. Sitting in the boat he's really antsy. Getting up. ..jumping out then I say place and back to his spot sitting. Right when I'm about to give him a Lil shock therapy he does exactly what I ask of him. I go every hunting trip and never give him a volt. . I like that but he tests me every step of the way lol. What do u guys do?

Posted on: 2016/9/26 18:15

Re: Collar correcting
LSF Member
From Mesabi Iron Range
I would work through a lot of denial training with him. Maybe let him retrieve 1 out of 5 marks. That should calm him down a bit.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 8:42

LSF Member
From South Central
With my Lab I never give her a command I don't intend to enforce. That sounds obvious, but a lot of people will tell their dog a command and not follow through. Especially when at home, or during the off season. If your dog is used to being told several times before they have to listen, they're just doing what is normal to them in the blind/boat.

My dog gets antsy when I fish, always wanting to chase the lure. It really drives me nuts, but eventually she calms down and the more I take her with me the better she gets. When she was a pup, I would leash her in the boat if she didn't listen. A few times tied up in the boat and she straightened out. In the spring when I take the boat out of storage, she tests my patience till she calms down by early summer. I used to think it would get better with age, but my Lab is 8 and still acts like a puppy a lot. Good luck, training sure can be a head scratcher sometimes.

Posted on: 2016/9/27 8:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Secret X
Quote:

gopherhawk wrote:
I would work through a lot of denial training with him. Maybe let him retrieve 1 out of 5 marks. That should calm him down a bit.

So I'm suppose to retrieve the other 4? Lol
And enforcing commands is what I always do. He is just whiny in the blind or boat and if he leaves his place I say "place" and he doesn't listen right away so while I'm pulling the remote out from underneath my jacket or wherever I have it he gets in place before I shock him. It's like he knows he has a couple seconds to sit in his place. I just don't get why he has to jump out of the boat in the first place. Should I have the remote in my hand and right when he moves give him the juice?

Posted on: 2016/9/27 15:54

LSF Member
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
Quote:

gopherhawk wrote:

So I'm suppose to retrieve the other 4? Lol
And enforcing commands is what I always do. He is just whiny in the blind or boat and if he leaves his place I say "place" and he doesn't listen right away so while I'm pulling the remote out from underneath my jacket or wherever I have it he gets in place before I shock him. It's like he knows he has a couple seconds to sit in his place. I just don't get why he has to jump out of the boat in the first place. Should I have the remote in my hand and right when he moves give him the juice?

Well I am assuming he is correctly collar conditioned

What I would do is set your remote to continuous stimulation. Go to your back yard and hold button down give command sit or place or whatever you use. As soon as dog sits let go. Have him sit in place for awhile then release and praise. Keep going longer and longer with the hold in place. Add distractions like you throwing bumper and don't let him get it unless you release him.

If dog releases without your command hold down stimulation and start off with you saying sit command again release stimulation when dog follows the command.
eventually if he breaks sit or place just do stimulation with no command he should know by then that he need to go back to what you originally told him to do.

Don't do this if your dog is not properly collar conditioned and you don't have the appropriate stimulation level.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 2:19

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
zachd hit the nail on the head!

Posted on: 2016/9/28 4:24

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
I forgot to add its beneficial to have some place for your dog to place. I use a tree stand that I have attached low to the ground that I have my dog place on. You can eventually work your way in your boat on the trailer.

Posted on: 2016/9/28 4:26

LSF Member
From Secret X
Thanks

Posted on: 2016/9/28 6:31

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page