Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Propane Augers
LSF Member
From Glyndon, MN
I'm looking to purchase a propane auger for this years ice fishing season but I am stumped as to which one I should get. I know that Eskimo and Jiffy both make them. Any thoughts as to which one I should get? Anyone have any good or bad experiences with either? Please feel free to share! Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/10/4 10:54
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Propane Augers
LSF Member
From Roseau
My dad has the jiffy propane auger and it is really nice. still gives off some fumes so it is not as nice as an electric in a permanent house. It works really well though! starts on the first or second pull every time. plenty of power. its nice to just switch out the propane bottle instead of having to deal with bringing extra gas or an electric power source with when drilling lots of holes. I would recommend it.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 10:59

LSF Member
I have the Jiffy Pro4 propane auger and like it a lot. There were complaints about weight, but I have no issue with that, and the weight actually helps the auger cut through the ice with little added effort at all. I did have issues with tank freeze in really cold weather, but I bought the tank bag and throw a hand warmer pack in the bag and it is good to go for the day.

As for comparison with the Eskimo, the only thing I have to share is - I did a 100% guided trip to Lake of the Woods last year with one of the big resorts and I went in to watch them clean our fish and they had both models of propane augers stacked up in the shed. So I asked him his preference. He said every guide to a man would grab the Jiffy over the Eskimo every time. He didn't have anything bad to say about the Eskimo, just that everyone liked the Jiffy better for cutting holes.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 11:25

LSF Member
I have the 8" Eskimo HC-40, and it works great. 99% of the time starts first pull, no choking required. Got a great deal on it at Fleet Farm during black Friday 2 years ago and it hasn't let me down since. I drill a lot of holes and am shocked by how little propane it actually uses. Does have some weight to it but helps cut through the ice faster.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 12:26

LSF Member
ive had a jiffy since they came out and love it. It does have a little fumes in a permanent but its not like the gas ones where you have to open all the windows and door for an hour to air it out. I just have the door open right away when i drill then shut it its fine for me. The auger cuts so fast and always starts. If I was getting a new auger it would be a jiffy propane unless the Eskimo was half the price then i would consider it. If I were you I would wait until the Blaine hard water expo or the st Paul ice fishing show and go look at both and check them out in person. Unless there is a killer deal on them right now.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 12:30

LSF Member
From GODS country
Another satisfied Jiffy Pro4 owner here....

Posted on: 2016/10/4 12:55

LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
My buddy has the Jiffy pro4 and my bro-in-law has the eskimo. never had an issue with either. Jiffy is definitely heavier so it depends on how you're getting around. That being said, it also cuts faster. Can't go wrong with either one.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 15:35

LSF Member
From Cottage Grove, MN.
Got one of the original Pro4's still works great it has to be 8+ years now? Jiffy has the 2x2x2 warranty... 2 years on the motor, 2 on the tranny and 2 on the blades.

Not sure on Eskimo warranty.

Only issue I have ever had was the free cover I got with the purchase in an ice and wind storm it ripped but hey it was free with the auger. Some creative sewing and tape its as good as new.

Posted on: 2016/10/4 16:12

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Bought an Eskimo 10" propane last winter and I really like it. It's a little heavy, but I have about 30 years before I need to be bitching about auger weight. it isn't going to win any drag races, but it starts right away, runs perfect and doesn't stink.

Posted on: 2016/10/5 9:13

LSF Member
Jiffy will have a new auger out this year Jiffy 44pro. It will have a new fixed position fuel delivery system, new propane holder and new aluminum 24:1 transmission. Its a 38cc motor but with the new trans. you can run a 10" auger.
They will also offer a new 5 year limited warranty. 2 year bumper to bumper and 3-4-5 everything but wearable parts.

I ,like others have said, still prefer the Jiffy Pro 4 that has a slightly larger motor and better cutting system. I will take a little extra auger weight for performance.

I will also say that Jiffy has been building propane augers from the beginning, this is not a one of auger.

If you have any further questions just let me know. If you would like to try either of the above two augers I should have them at my house by next week. We can discuss over a beer or cocktail!!

Posted on: 2016/10/5 11:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page