Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Migration 2016~
LSF Member
From central mn
Is about to kick in,heavy snow in sasak has some birds on the move,specs (white fronted geese) have already started to head south as they are the 1st northern birds to head south,some have already showed up in central Kansas.

Mean while the huge wads of snows and northen mallards are staging just north of the nodak border,the snow won't last long 8"tp 15"s as the ground isn't froze yet.Next weeks full moon should help the migration to kick in,ready for some colored birds rather than just "brown" ducks.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 12:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Migration 2016~
LSF Member
From central mn
Bills started to show yesterday morning as my neighbors shot 4 out of a big group that came bombing in@daybreak and a redhead,1st of the season,blue wingteal seemed to have moved on,however its not unusal for greenwing teal to come in later in the season.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 13:58

LSF Member
Do you think the main migration has shifted to Nodak/Montana and Minnesota is a mere shell of it's former heyday?????The reason I ask this is an old timer told me"there are no more ducks left here in the Christina/Ashby area".c63

Posted on: 2016/10/13 16:26

Pro Staff
From Fosston, Mn
Saw a small group of speckle belly geese between Fosston and McIntosh on Wednesday. Wish I hadn't been working.

Posted on: 2016/10/13 22:01

LSF Member
From central mn
chris,

Agree 100% main stream migration shifted west many years ago,infact the old hay days around devils lake ain't the same either,birds moved further west(main stream migration)but hunters still have better success anywhere in the Dakota's than we have here in central Mn,but we still get some northern birds that trickle through,western Mn is our best bet as the season progresses.

Specs in Mn is rare,interesting,we seldom get into snow geese here as well,I can count on one hand the times we scratched out snow geese in Mn over the past 40years.

Last night holding the fort down in a stubble field for the evening shoot we were invaded by huge flocks of black birds and robins,quite the sight,its amazing when you get 100's upon 100's of black birds fly in what looks like a tornado with out hitting each other.Great time of year.

Posted on: 2016/10/14 11:30

LSF Member
I agree the migration in Minnesota isn't what it used to be (from what I hear), but I wouldn't say there's no birds in the Ashby/Christina area. Have been hunting the area the last 4 years and there's been no shortage of quick limits and 100's of birds on our ponds. I can only imagine how good it used to be though..

Posted on: 2016/10/14 12:14

LSF Member
From Ramsey/St. Cloud
I'm currently living in northeastern Montana and the migration has started here. I was able to get out last weekend one time and had waves of buffleheads piling into my decoys. Big rafts out in the main lake. Compared to the week before when I was just shooting the single and double gadwells, spoonbills, and teal.

Posted on: 2016/10/15 6:35

LSF Member
From central mn
Yesterday morning as the sun burned off the fog we could see huge flocks of divers really high heading in all directions,managed to scratch out a couple dandy wood ducks and a banner drake green wing that's headed for the wall.Can't believe this weather today after the cool /cold morning yesterday,the best is yet to come.

Fishking,I suspect the heavy snow in SASK pushed some of those birds down early eh?

Posted on: 2016/10/17 10:42

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
I was in SW MN all weekend. duck numbers are paltry at best still. On my way home I checked water from Canby to Lac Qui Parle, and found next to nothing for viable numbers of huntable ducks.

There were some geese moving down, and i did see a couple high flying flocks of specks (though by timing and height, I don't think they were planning on stopping in MN).

There has certainly been a flyway shift, and it has been accompanied by the migration pattern coming in a shorter window every year. While the migration used to come over a couple weeks, its coming and going, in a couple day window. if you can be afield during the push, there is next to nothing for competition for places to hunt. You just have to endure some pretty brutal weather.

See the tables at the end! http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/fish_wildlife/wildlife/wma/lqpwma/lac_qui_parle_wma_goose_hunting_guide.pdf

Posted on: 2016/10/17 11:02

LSF Member
From Chaska/Leech Lake
We hunted the same area and checked some management and
production areas and only saw a single group (12-15) teal buzzing
around.

We saw 2 flocks of specs heading south.

Pheasant hunting was pretty bad. Tons of corn and beans.
We worked grass and crp; some management and some private.

4 guys with four dogs. Saw 3 roosters and one hen.
Harvested a young rooster.

Pretty warm for the hounds. We had to rotate them.

tweed

Posted on: 2016/10/17 14:54

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page