Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Injured Lab Question HELP!
LSF Member
Just wanted to see if any of you have experienced this with your hunting dogs.
I have a 1 1/2 year old black lab who Iíve really been excited to hunt with this year but unfortunately that has been put on hold for the time being.

When the problem occurred. Of course while I was on the road for work my wife called and told me that she was playing catch in the back yard throwing the ball maybe 20ft at max and our dog slipped and kind of rolled over himself (from what she said). After that she noticed that he was limping a little bit nothing to bad, but he didnít want to play catch anymore. When I got home we took him to the vet who provided us with an anti inflammatory. And told us to rest him (leash only for 4 weeks). This was perfect timing because we were getting him fixed so the rest would be easy. The anti inflammatory and rest seemed like it was working at the end of the 4 weeks, my wife and I were heading out of town and we left our dog with my parents who also have a 4 year old black lab. I told my dad to take it easy with our dog due to the circumstances. When we went to pick our dog up we noticed he was limping again and I asked my dad how much activity did our dog get, he said that took his dog and our on a walk through taller grass looking for pheasants for no longer then a half a mile. So here we go again back to the vet and this time having an orthopedic surgeon look at him. They took x rays and nothing appeared to be abnormal. He recommended again 4 weeks leash only with an RX for anti inflammatory. So here we are now. It has been at the end of the 4 weeks again he seemed to be doing a little better until we had to bring him again to my parents and he was off leash for a little bit playing around with my parents older lab. And as soon as we got him back he was limping for a few days. I have told my dad servral to take it easy with our he is trying to heal. But he is the type where, Ē hes a dog he will be fine in a few days. So after consulting with the vet again, they are referring us to the U of M vet clinic where we will be meeting with an orthopedic again. I kept asking our vet is this something serious enough to be needing surgeryÖÖ she didnít think so. The guess was soft tissue damage, ie torn muscle or strained muscle. How long do these things take to heal. Basically what it comes down to is that I dont want to take him to the U of M bay $250 to meet with an orthopedic and do an MRI which is $1500 just to have them say he needs to rest more.

If he has no activity for 3-4 days, the limp is barley noticeable.But anytime he is off the leash trotting around a little bit then he will limp the next day. When we work his shoulder it doesnít seem to bother him or be an any type of pain. The first orthopedic said he got a little bit of a reaction on abduction rotation, but wasnít to bad.

Sorry for the long story but Iím getting really frustrated with the amount of money spent with basically not getting any answers.It is killing me not knowing whatís going on. Feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 10:03
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Injured Lab Question HELP!
LSF Member
From Mora
Not sure if it matters but is it a front or back leg? My girlfriends dog had the same thing and finally figured out she had a torn ligament in her knee. Surgery and 1800 dollars later shes fine now.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 10:32

LSF Member
In the front. Well that's not good news. The vet said if it were a torn lig, that they would barley be able to put any weight on it.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 10:39

LSF Member
From Bloomington
Rear leg limp?

If so then I would immediately say ACL, my neighbors dog and a hunting buddy both had their dogs tear ACL's pronounced limp after exercise. Two schools of thought if that is the problem. Each of my friends took different approaches. One went for the surgery on his lab lots of $$$ but it worked, the other went with the natural healing method its been two years and his dog still limps after a light field run for pheasants. Basically I'd say its up to you and how much you want to spend, you'd have to get the MRI first though. Just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 10:46

LSF Member
Quote:

IceMnky wrote:
Rear leg limp?

If so then I would immediately say ACL, my neighbors dog and a hunting buddy both had their dogs tear ACL's pronounced limp after exercise. Two schools of thought if that is the problem. Each of my friends took different approaches. One went for the surgery on his lab lots of $$$ but it worked, the other went with the natural healing method its been two years and his dog still limps after a light field run for pheasants. Basically I'd say its up to you and how much you want to spend, you'd have to get the MRI first though. Just my 2 cents.

No front leg, they think its his shoulder.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 10:49

LSF Member
From cities during the week mille lacs on the weekends
I'd say give it a couple weeks of taking it easy and see what happens. Buddy of mine had a 5 year old chocolate lab that had a similar issue and it kept re-injuring it jumping off the furniture and playing with their other dog and eventually had to have surgery because he never let it heal. Dogs are just like us they need time to heal or it's gonna stay the same or get worse. Keep in mind if he's hurt on one side he will be putting more weight and strain on the other, don't want both to get bad.....Good luck

Posted on: 2016/10/21 11:33

LSF Member
Quote:

MattNy wrote:
I'd say give it a couple weeks of taking it easy and see what happens. Buddy of mine had a 5 year old chocolate lab that had a similar issue and it kept re-injuring it jumping off the furniture and playing with their other dog and eventually had to have surgery because he never let it heal. Dogs are just like us they need time to heal or it's gonna stay the same or get worse. Keep in mind if he's hurt on one side he will be putting more weight and strain on the other, don't want both to get bad.....Good luck

Yea, it is really hard to keep a 1 1/2 year old lab from jumping around. He does the same thing, jumping off couches and beds.

Posted on: 2016/10/21 11:51

LSF Member
From cities during the week mille lacs on the weekends
I hear ya I have 2 they're a handful, just gotta do the best you can! My older dog tore her acl in her back leg a few years ago, that was the longest 6+ weeks of our lives with a 2 year old lab that wanted to play with her all day

Posted on: 2016/10/21 18:39

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
I'd also say give it more time. Keep him away from other dogs for longer. I know he's 1.5 and full of piss and vinegar but it can take longer to heal at that age because of how active they are. By having him around other dogs and playing it doesn't help it if it's not fully healed. I think he's just re-tweaking it and just needs time.

Posted on: 2016/10/22 16:16

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
From Hastings/ Harris
My Chocolate had a partial tear of her Achilles tendon, and after repair surgery, the leash walk thing was mandatory for a LONG time.
Tendons take a long time to heal because unlike a muscle, their is little blood flow to a tendon for healing ( think of it as a piece of nylon rope).
Believe me,it is much more inconvenient for YOU to stay disiplined to leash walk, but if you value the future of a Pal that you have most likely spent a fair amount of money on, stay on track and keep with it, it will also prevent the urge to "launch" or " explode" after someting.
Labs are so stoic and will hide and push through pain for praise or the chance to hop around in the tall grass.

Just remember that you are both in it for the long haul.

My Golden had double hip surgery as a pup so I already knew the routine, so when it was the Chocolates turn--well she was my hunting dog so I pulled out ALL the stops...I snow blowed trails through out the 4 acres of our property and my wife and I had many early mornings of leash walking and figure 8 walks under our belts.
But Sophie has turned into a hunting machine and I can't even touch a peice of camo clothing without her running circles not wanting to get left behind.She swims and tracks down birds like a motorboat.It was worth the patience.
Hang in there!

Posted on: 2017/1/19 22:22

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page