Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Any ripley reports
LSF Member
From Baxter, MN
look at the numbers in Anderson's article of the amount of does taken, also given the fact that the Ripley hunt is not managed for trophy bucks, the population decrease is by design as you can read Liddell's comments in the article
http://www.startribune.com/dennis-anderson-hunters-ask-where-camp-ripley-s-big-bucks-have-gone/333672071/

Posted on: 2016/10/25 13:08
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Rice, MN
While it may not have been managed for trophy bucks that was the main reason I believe it was so popular. Now be honest do you think the Ripley hunt would be as popular as it has become if it was an antlerless only hunt? (best way to manage the heard according to the dnr)

Posted on: 2016/10/25 15:07

LSF Member
From Mora
Quote:

stanley wrote:
I started hunting Ripley over 10yrs ago and quite 2yrs ago because of the low deer numbers. I hunted with guys that have been going there since the mid 70's and they all have said they have never seen the numbers go so low as they have been the last 5 or so years. You all say it's our fault for shooting so many deer but why was the heard so strong for so many years then go down so fast and the wolf sighting go up so fast? Those same guys I hunted with in all there time hunting Ripley never saw a wolf or head of many people seeing them until recently. It's like everywhere else in state wolf sighting go up and deer go down until the wolves move on. I hope Ripley gets back to the way it was but at the rate it is going I don't see that happening

The wolves didnt just move in on their own the dam DNR transplanted them about 10 or more years ago. Since then the population has exploded and gotten out of hand and now we're stuck.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 20:20

LSF Member
From pillager, mn
! "LOCK & LOAD" !! there is only one way to take care of a problem, and that is take it to the problem with an all out confrontation of the problematic wolf population. "HEAD ON & FASTER BULLETS" !

Posted on: 2016/10/25 21:42

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
The Wolf is the Issue, It's the only animal in our State that is not managed, has no Predator and is top predator.

A pack of 5 wolves can consume 2.5 deer a week. When the DNR used to collar Moose Calves, wolves would kill almost 50% of the collared calf population before Fall time. Same reason we can no longer hunt Moose in MN.

MN has claimed for nearly a decade or longer that the wolf population bounces around 3000 or so, but a private group of MN Biologist did there own wolf population survey some years back and came up with around 13,000 wolves in MN.

Ask yourself, how can the wolf population not grow in size in over a decade with no predators of its own. Every animal needs to be managed. All this information is on the Internet if you so desire to research.

Do the math, pack of wolves at 2.5 deer/moose a week x 3000 if you believe the DNR or 13,000.

I'd love to see what the wolf population is at inside of Ripley since the DNR transplanted them years back? I wonder why they never publicly state that information? I bet each years Bambi/Fawn Crop is decimated by 50-60% right out of the shoot by wolves the last few years.

Posted on: 2016/10/26 7:53

LSF Member
so your basically saying estimated 2277 wolfs and a estimated 439 packs of wolf in mn decimated 1000000 deer heard in the state that 600000 registered deer hunters in this state dint have any involvment in the heard with all the extra bonous tags that were given out

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:39

I agree with u foxtraut

Posted on: 2016/10/26 11:49

LSF Member
From Benedict
Yes we realize we are shooting to many deer but the population is going down very fast now with all these wolves

Posted on: 2016/10/26 12:57

LSF Member
actually its going up

Posted on: 2016/10/26 13:20

LSF Member
Through out the Minnesota wolf range . deer hunting will never be what it once was. Our winters can decimate our herd ,and wolves are doing the same.. Also our DNR is terrible on how they manage our herd.When bonus permits were being handed out like crazy , many areas one permit holder could kill up to 5 deer each , and being that bonus permits are not doe permits , potentially one permit holder could kill 5 male deer . Now even in states where numbers are high , no winter kills , and no wolves , nowhere is anybody allowed to kill 5 male deer . I had read that on Isle Royal where the wolf population is down to a all time low , the once dwindling moose herd is making a nice comeback , dah , only makes sense. Don't believe our DNR for nothing concerning our current wolf population. Also in the north where the moose heard has declined , the DNR wants to now purposely lower the deer heard in that region so the moose can come back , so they say . They are quick to say that the deer herd in that area has been , and is being managed to a lower number , in theory that deer can transmit brain worms . The real reason is winter kill and wolves have wiped out the herd in this area , and has nothing to do with management at all. Back in 1996 and 1997 our winters took a toll on our herd , in some areas of northern Mn our herd was wiped out by 50-75% , and then we lucked out for a few years and our herd rebounded greatly , to in some areas record numbers. Well we had two back to back harsh winters again 3 and 4 years ago , followed up by the last 2 winters being very mild . Where is our rebound this time , not seeing it at all . The difference being back then our wolf numbers were a lot lower than now.. I'm a northern Mn local , who follows our deer herd with great interest, years back wolf stories were very limited , now every hunting group I speak with , and I know of many , in many different areas of northern Mn. all/each have there own wolf stories , in some way . I myself have hunted deer for 40 plus years , we never saw or dealt with wolves , now they are a regular occurrence, either on trail cams , or sitting on the stand . Deer hunters are not going to have the good hunting we once had . I hate wolves . Have them in a zoo . The end !

Posted on: 2016/10/26 13:51

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page