Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Team 4 is on the board - 8ptr
LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
Details: 8ptr, 16 inside spread, weight 180lbs hanging. shot 7:34 Friday morning.

Story (for those interested):
Early in the week I seen it was going to cool off Thurs/Friday. The cameras don't lie, the bucks moved a ton more when the temps drop to 30 or below. No brainer, take the day off Friday. All day Thursday i could just feel it... Tomorrow's the day, tomorrows the day. 5:45 the alarm goes off, up right a way... For those that know me, I look for any reason to not get up, hate to get up early, but not Friday... Just about perfect, around 30 and a very, very slight breeze (which proved to be very helpful). Snuck in about 6:45 and got settled. About 7:30 I heard a couple branch snaps, not to far away... There appeared a deer about 60yrds down the 4 wheel trail. I could see by the body size and the walk he was a buck, he proceeds down the trail toward me. When he's walking right at you, you really can't tell if he's nice or not. Proceeds to walk right under me (still couldn't really tell) and goes to work a scrape and licking branch about 7yrds away. As he's working over the brush I could see - HE'S A NICE BUCK... Thanks to the light rustling of the the red oak leaves, he didn't hear me fumbling around. A quick draw and whack, I hit him really high, but do to the straight down angle I clipped the lungs (which I didn't know).. I watched him run off about 80yrds before him and the luminok disappeared... Dam it didn't look good. I haven't killed a deer bow hunting in 15+ years, let alone a shoot at a nice buck, first time ever and I botched it. BUT, there's always a BUT, the Sunday before as I was getting ready to head home I had a camera sitting on the table.. Hmm I should put that over the fresh scrape I had found, I like to set the camera's on the video mode over scrapes.. I'm sure you can guess the scrape my buck was working. So I wait a couple hours, grab the camera card and take a quick look for blood. Found drops of blood where I last seen him and backed out to give him time. Back at the hunting shack I pop the card in the computer to see what I had. Are you kidding I have the shot on video.. I have the camera set for 10 second videos and a 15 second delay between shots, and somehow the timing was perfect. I made copy of the shot on my phone and sent it to a few friends who have shot a lot of deer. They were confident I have a dead deer, but give him time. I waited about 4 hours and started following a small blood trail, came to a spot where he snapped the arrow off and there was a ton of blood (hopes are high). Then there was no blood, I couldn't tell from the blood pool which way he was going. So I followed the trail in the direction he was going, about 20yrds up I found a tiny drop of blood on a blade of tall grass. Now he's in waist high grass where the deer trail splits three ways (just great). Followed the trail in the direction he was heading about 50yrds, nothing. Back to last blood and start on another deer trail get about 15yrds in, there he is, stiff as a board.... Thank God... I got a new bow earlier this fall and was finally felt competent enough to break it out. Very first sit with the new bow - nice buck. 10year old bow with hundreds of hours hunting - nothing.. Maybe it has the "Cubs" curse or something. Plus get the kill on video - Awesome. I guess some things are just meant to be... Lesson's learned: For all those hunters (including me) at the archery range working on 30,40,50 yard shots, practice the short shots at close range.. Lesson #2 - Rage broadheads are indestructible, absolutely hammered a rib going in and looks to be reusable (i won't of course). How that thin steel doesn't break apart is amazing... thanks for reading and good luck hunting. Now hopefully the pic's load 50/50 at best for me.

Attach file:

jpg  8ptr in the field.JPG (770.25 KB)
9942_580d5de323326.jpg 1632X1224 px

jpg  8ptr hanging.JPG (146.82 KB)
9942_580d5e000799f.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/10/23 20:04
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Team 4 is on the board - 8ptr
LSF Member
From East Bethel
Congrats!! Nice job. Hoping to put one up for team 1 this next weekend.

Posted on: 2016/10/23 20:12

LSF Member
Nice looking buck!

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:00

LSF Member
From central mn
Way to go!

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:05

LSF Member
From Big Lake, MN
Great story and heck of a nice Buck....Congrats!

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:05

Staff Team
From Mayer , MN
Great buck! Thanks for sharing the story!

Posted on: 2016/10/23 21:18

LSF Member
From Mora
He will look good on the wall

Posted on: 2016/10/24 9:04

LSF Member
From Forest Lake

Posted on: 2016/10/24 20:22

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Great deer and story!!!

Posted on: 2016/10/30 11:05

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page