Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Seeking Rainy River Info
LSF Member
From Rhinelander, WI
Howdy boys.

Was hoping to hit the Rainy River in two weeks if the weather holds. Never been on it, and was seeking any info I could obtain.
I realize you have to locate pods of fish if they're in the system, but do you target the same quality areas that you do in the spring?
Are the rapids by Franz Jevne & Mainitou rapids passable by boat?

I really appreciate any feedback!

Tom Hubbard

Posted on: 2016/10/24 21:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Seeking Rainy River Info
LSF Member
From Sartell / Ottertail
I have been up multiple times in the last 20 years, and I have been past birchdale twice, once thru the rapids and once lanched on the access. I didn't get too far on either trip and found that it was very rough going, lots of rocks ect. There are PLENTY of areas to fish from birchdale all the way to the lake to keep you busy for a couple weeks straight. Sometimes the fish are shallow and sometimes they are in the deeper holes, usually don't hold in one spot too long before I leave. Don't forget about the lake if you are having trouble catching in the river, having the right size boat of course, the lake has been good to me the last few years as well. Heading up this weekend for a few days of relaxing on the river and hook setting. Good Luck and post pics.

Posted on: 2016/10/25 6:25

LSF Member
From Rhinelander, WI
Quote:

backtroller1 wrote:
I have been up multiple times in the last 20 years, and I have been past birchdale twice, once thru the rapids and once lanched on the access. I didn't get too far on either trip and found that it was very rough going, lots of rocks ect. There are PLENTY of areas to fish from birchdale all the way to the lake to keep you busy for a couple weeks straight. Sometimes the fish are shallow and sometimes they are in the deeper holes, usually don't hold in one spot too long before I leave. Don't forget about the lake if you are having trouble catching in the river, having the right size boat of course, the lake has been good to me the last few years as well. Heading up this weekend for a few days of relaxing on the river and hook setting. Good Luck and post pics.

Thank you. Very helpful info, and I appreciate it. If the lake isn't rolling we'll definitely fish it, but anticipating cruddy conditions to force us to the river. You never know though.
Thanks again!

Posted on: 2016/10/25 8:45

LSF Member
From Bemidji, MN
I was up on the Rainy River last weekend. We got up there shortly after the sun had come up and launched out of Birchdale. We went up the river about a mile and started the morning off fishing a deep hole. We caught a lot of walleyes in about 15-22 FOW focusing on the break around the hole. Around 10:30AM the bite shut off completely and we only picked up a few more fish until we left at about 2 in the afternoon. If I was to change one thing I would have launched an hour earlier to take full advantage of the hot morning bite. Hindsight is 20/20. We were using 3/8oz jogs tipped with emerald shiners. Good luck, and let us know how you end up doing!

Posted on: 2016/10/29 22:18

LSF Member
From Rhinelander, WI
Quote:

iLiveWalleyes wrote:
I was up on the Rainy River last weekend. We got up there shortly after the sun had come up and launched out of Birchdale. We went up the river about a mile and started the morning off fishing a deep hole. We caught a lot of walleyes in about 15-22 FOW focusing on the break around the hole. Around 10:30AM the bite shut off completely and we only picked up a few more fish until we left at about 2 in the afternoon. If I was to change one thing I would have launched an hour earlier to take full advantage of the hot morning bite. Hindsight is 20/20. We were using 3/8oz jogs tipped with emerald shiners. Good luck, and let us know how you end up doing!

Thank you very much for info! We're still on the fence since we're inexperienced and only have two days to fish. Appreciate the info nonetheless!

Posted on: 2016/10/30 18:42

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page