Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: .223 help
LSF Member
Quote:

ROC wrote:
I am not in favor of using an AR type of gun for Deer Hunting. Would recomand using 243 or 270 bolt action gun. Old saying 1 shot one kill, using an AR style can take many shots Thats not hunting.
My young nephews don't like the thought of using anything but a Bolt Action Rifle.
I am Old Fashion, I used AR style to Kill People when in the Service.

While sitting in the woods during rifle season on public land I've heard plenty of guys open up with an AR rifle and throw many rounds at a deer. In one area I've hunted its basically a daily occurrence somewhere around us. However, its not an issue with the weapon its an issue with the hunter. A .223 requires good shot placement but the skill set needed to make that shot is pretty easily obtainable by anyone that puts in a little practice. The one shot one kill mantra certainly holds true for the .223. The hunter just needs to take the same care with his shot as he would with a bolt action rifle. From what I can tell not everyone does that and they instead rely on the fact that they can make many quick follow up shots as the deer runs off. I always wonder what those deer look like if they ever retrieve them? Are the riddled with 6-7 bullets, mostly hamburger, or do most of the shots miss leaving a wounded deer running through the woods.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 14:06
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Quote:

nofishfisherman wrote:

While sitting in the woods during rifle season on public land I've heard plenty of guys open up with an AR rifle and throw many rounds at a deer. In one area I've hunted its basically a daily occurrence somewhere around us. However, its not an issue with the weapon its an issue with the hunter. A .223 requires good shot placement but the skill set needed to make that shot is pretty easily obtainable by anyone that puts in a little practice. The one shot one kill mantra certainly holds true for the .223. The hunter just needs to take the same care with his shot as he would with a bolt action rifle. From what I can tell not everyone does that and they instead rely on the fact that they can make many quick follow up shots as the deer runs off. I always wonder what those deer look like if they ever retrieve them? Are the riddled with 6-7 bullets, mostly hamburger, or do most of the shots miss leaving a wounded deer running through the woods.

You should come and hunt slug country with us. While we sit in stand, it's the norm to see the push hunters open up on running deer. The neighbor across the street, said the last buck he "took" had 11 slug holes in it when it dropped. He just happened to be the last one on the line firing.

The one shot, one hit mantra is the issue. A 742/7400 or 1100 can fire just as quick as an AR. Rate of fire isn't the issue, choice of shot is.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 14:25

LSF Member
JJ, thats a big part of the reason I don't hunt slug country. I see the same thing up in the big woods that I hunt but honestly I'm not sure how they are getting that many shots off on a deer given how thick the woods are in the area. I'm guessing the first 2-3 shots might have the deer in the scope, the last 3-5 are just into the brush the deer ran into.

Posted on: 2016/10/28 14:38

LSF Member
From Farmington
I like my hunting up North. Yes not that many deer, not as many big deer. But at least I hear 1 possibly 2 shots at a deer.

Posted on: 2016/11/12 22:42

LSF Member
From Center City, MN
AR10 is always an option, if you want a reason for an AR. Your son can handle the .308 in that rifle and no question about it being able to take down a deer. You can find a DPMS for around $700. Just a thought.
John

Posted on: 2016/11/14 8:18

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page