Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Pheasants
Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
I'm surprised no one has posted about pheasants yet. Still quite a few crops in the fields in our area so it hasn't been the greatest. That being said I've been out a handful of times west of Willmar and have been getting a couple birds here and there. Can't wait for later in the season!

Posted on: 2016/10/30 10:55

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Pheasants
Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Went out on opener and the dog got cut up pretty bad on some barbed wire and has been out of commission since then.... tomorrow is the first day I can take him back out and it's suppose to be 60s all week. This season is frustrating. Hopefully the crops will come out and we'll get some cooler days before it snows too much.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 11:42

LSF Member
From Blaine
I went out for the first time on Saturday just west of the cities and found some public land to try. I pulled onto the parking road which had private fields on both sides until you got down to the public area and there were 3 roosters and 3 or 4 hens on the road/in the ditch and it was 30 mins before 9am.

It gave me some hope that this area would produce for me but that was not the case, there was good habitat in most spots although pretty wet in most of the lower areas making it a little hard to walk through, but the dog had a blast and that's what its all about. I saw single vehicles in two of the 3 parking areas in the AM.

I would say corn harvest is around 70-80 percent. I'm going to try to get out again soon. I'll report back.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 16:11

LSF Member
How west of the cities were you? I am thinking about going that way sometime this week but debating depending on corn harvest.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 3:58

LSF Member
Other day flushed a rooster in the Zimmerman area the bugger flushed way early and was just out of my range
tried a different spot flushed a hen and 2 grouse

Posted on: 2016/11/1 3:59

LSF Member
From Blaine
I was out around the Waverly and Howard Lake area.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 11:19

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Got on the board today. Pups cut is finally healed up so we went out this morning despite the warm sunny weather. The first WMA we hit was pretty wet. Have always at least seen hens on this piece of land so was pretty disappointed we didn't see a single bird but the corn was still standing around it. Went to a WPA a few miles away and the corn was out on half the sides. A rooster flushed wild a couple hundred yards away about 10 minutes in and it got mine and the pups blood flowing. About 75% of the way around the perimeter of the field there was a little stream coming out of a pond so I let my dog stop for a rest and a drink, after a couple sips he started acting birdy and locked on a rooster that flushed about 3 feet from where i was standing waiting for him. After I was done flinching from the close flush I swung around and puffed it at close range. Pretty sure I sank every last pellet into it.

Saw one more hen after that and that was it, too hot out there for the pooch. Glad we got one today though. Love watching my dog work the field and love how happy he is when we are successful!

Posted on: 2016/11/1 15:08

LSF Member
Thinking about heading to the lake lillian area this week anyone know how much crops they have out around there? guess I will find out soon! Wish it wasn't so hot out

Posted on: 2016/11/2 1:38

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
Not sure where that is but I drove out past Granite Falls yesterday and I was surprised at how far along they were on the crops compared to just west of the cities. Crops were about 90% out in the area I was and all the fields still standing were being worked on so it won't be long now with this nice weather they will all be gone.

Tagged another one yesterday. Took til the very end, flushed right next to my truck, thought for sure my dog was scenting old scent. Couldn't believe it ran all the way to my truck before getting up. Luckily last year I learned the lesson "always trust my dog" so I was ready even though I was skeptical.

Posted on: 2016/11/3 11:29

LSF Member
Well never made it west but hunted the Sherburne area.
At the first spot there was a suv parked by the entrance figured he was bow hunting and didn't want to disturb him so went to spot 2 no pheasants but Jumped a duck while we were working by a small pond he is now in the freezer.

Spot 3 we worked for awhile with no luck on the way out a older guy was sitting in the parking lot with his springer spaniel let our dogs meet and talked to him for a second. While I was packing up he was driving out onto the road all a sudden he stops and I see a rooster run out of the woods across the road into a cornfield across the road. He backs up a rolls the window down and says hey there is a rooster over there and laughs.

I guess we should have worked in the woods by the parking lot!

On to the next spot we work some higher ground by a big patch of cattails dog was on a scent like crazy and I could see tracks in the soft ground but no bird to be found.

Only bird of the day was the bonus duck

Posted on: 2016/11/3 21:02

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page