Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

New to bowhunting-what to buy?
LSF Member
I'm looking at possibly starting to bow hunt next fall and I need some help on what I need to know and also what I should buy. Does anybody have any recommendations on what bow I should buy? I want one that will last a long time but something that's not very expensive. Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/10/30 11:25
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: New to bowhunting-what to buy?
LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
Shoot as many as possible find one that fits u and shoots comfortably...go to archery pro shops where they can help ya and make needed adjustments

Posted on: 2016/10/30 11:39

Field Staff
From Willmar, MN
Quote:

TW wrote:
Shoot as many as possible find one that fits u and shoots comfortably...go to archery pro shops where they can help ya and make needed adjustments

X2, go to a reputable archery shop and let them know what your price range is and what you'll be doing with it. They'll let you shoot all sorts of bows in your price range to see what fits you best and feels the best.

Posted on: 2016/10/30 14:01

2015 Team Archery Contest Winner
2016 Team Archery Contest Winner

LSF Member
From Perham
If you're looking for a cheap bow, get one on craigslist. There's a million bows out there for cheap that'll kill a deer for a beginner. Find a decent deal and post it on here and get some advice. I got a sheels bow for a hundred bucks and it's great for me. Theres lots better bows out there but my longest shot is 20 yards and it gets the job done.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 0:58

LSF Member
Do you have any buddies that bow hunt? If so ask if they have any of their old bows laying around for you to tinker around with. I got my bow from a buddy. Its an old PSE Thunderbolt, guys at the bow shop were guessing probably from mid 90's if I remember right.

Anyways he had no use for it so he just gave it to me. I took it in and had it looked over and the shop set it up to fit me. I've been shooting it the last 2 years (1 year of practice and 1 year of hunting). Now I'm shooting better groups with this old bow than my buddy is with his new high priced bow.

Really almost any bow out there will get the job done. Older bows might not be as fast as the newer bows but they still kill deer.

I still plan to upgrade at some point but shooting this old bow really showed me what things I'll be looking for in the next bow. Without having the experience with this bow I wouldn't be as informed in what I want and any bow I held in the shop would have probably felt fine. Now I know what I want and can shop smarter.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 9:44

LSF Member
From MN
I went the cheap route this year, as it's my first year bow hunting. Bought a Cabela's package which worked for what I needed. Shot a doe a couple weeks ago but noticed the bow wasn't shooting the same. I brought it to a reputable archery shop which spent well over an hour tuning it.

Cabela's had set the bow way off. The draw wan't correct so it wouldn't paper tune and the peep sight was off, still is but I didn't want to adjust my anchor point mid season.

If you do go the cheap route, I would highly suggest purchasing it or bring it to a reputable archery shop to have it properly setup.

Posted on: 2016/10/31 11:13

LSF Member
Quote:

EyeHunter09 wrote:

If you do go the cheap route, I would highly suggest purchasing it or bring it to a reputable archery shop to have it properly setup.

Having a professional archery shop involved in the process is the one common piece of advice almost anyone will give. The difference in service and knowledge between a pro shop and a big box store is going to be night and day. Whether you buy something on sale at a big box store, from craigslist, or you get a hand me down you should take it into a shop and get it looked over.

When I took my old hand me down bow into Bwana one of their guys worked with me personally for over an hour to get the bow set up properly while having me shoot it after each tweak. Being new to bows the guy also worked with me on my form and shooting technique after the bow was all set. After over an hour of working with me all he charged me for was the new peep sight he put in and for the 5 arrows I bought, all his time making adjustments was free of charge. I think I was out the door for under $40. Needless to say they'll make a lot more money off of me in the future because of how well they treated me the first time.

Posted on: 2016/11/1 8:14

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page