Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 2016 Whitetail Opener
LSF Member
I was out bow hunting on Friday and had 6 deer move passed me but they stayed in the thick stuff so didn't get a good look at them. One was right away in the morning the other 5 were in the afternoon between 2pm and 6pm.

Saturday sat the same spot all day and only had 1 move by again int he afternoon and again stayed in the thick stuff.

Had a lot of activity on cams and they are starting to show up earlier in the evening. Had a new big boy show up as well, Huge 8 but looks like he may have a couple small kickers that could possibly score as well but was hard to tell from the pictures.

I'll be back out in the next couple weeks with the bow to give it another shot.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 9:34
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Balsam Township
179 - 2 people saw 2 fawns, didn't hear many shots.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 10:09

LSF Member
From Gentilly, MN
Zone 257, My son and I saw nothing on Saturday, only a handful of shots fired in the area. Sunday morning this 8-point came in right away. This is only his second deer, pretty happy kid today!

Attach file:

jpg  2016sawyerbuck.jpg (181.98 KB)
4963_5820a8bf77c2a.jpg 720X960 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:15

LSF Member
From Cloquet, MN
Zone 156.

Saw plenty of does and young bucks Saturday, with my target 8 running through on the tail of a doe. Sunday had some people drive our property that I didn't know about, so that hunt was a waste.

Interesting side note, my grandma shot a decent 3.5 year old 8 on Saturday that still had A LOT of fat left, telling me that the rut hasn't hit full gear yet. Hoping the cooler temps this weekend will get them moving.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 11:23

LSF Member
From Maple Grove / Grand Rapids
We did surprisingly good considering the weather conditions so here is my story.

We had been seeing heavy movement for the last three weeks on camera. Two nice (for our area) bucks with plenty of doe tags to go around. We have the fortune of having 300+ private acres that back to another 9,000 of public land in Grand Rapids but we have 13 family / close friends that hunt with us which has been a tradition for over 40 years.

Drove up Friday night after budget meetings at work kept me until 4:45. Was out in the stand on public at 6AM Saturday. I saw a spike @ 8AM that I passed on and saw something else that didn't present itself. My uncle shot a spike Saturday mid-morning. We all share the meat and I wish they would pass up some smaller bucks but to each their own. My daughter had a drama performance Saturday night so I left the shack at 2:30 Saturday getting home in time to take a quick 20 minute nap and head to her performance. I was 50/50 on heading back up or not knowing I was already tired and afraid of hitting a deer. Well something was telling me to head back up so there I did, amped up on 2 Mountain Dew, a DQ blizzard and a 5 hour energy (horrible for the gut / waste line). I made it back up seeing 11 deer (alive) along the road.

Things were very slow Sunday AM with one of my uncles missing a big bodied deer following a doe and fawn. After watching a few minutes of the Vikes we head back out to stand. Seeing an e-mail from my boss that seemed like asking for a day off Monday would be a bad idea I was trying to figure out a plan to get to work Monday but hunt all day Sunday and to avoid driving home late Sunday. I came to the notion I would sleep at the cabin and drive to the cities in the AM being in at work around 9:30. With some shooting off in the distance from others (not our party) we couldnít tell if they were target shooting or just missing deer.

About 3pm after seeing the Vikes get tied up in the 4th quarter (I didnít see them loose) I put the phone away. A few moments later I see something pass one of my lanes (looking in the right spot at the right time as I now had to guess where it was going to come out. I scope it and see itís one of the 8 pointers (maybe a 7 ptr) and decided I was shooting if presented a shot. He was nose to the ground and in the attempt to stop him with a few grunts (he wanted nothing to do with that), I picked the next opening between two trees and shot. I hear no crashing through the woods but donít see anything lying where I shot (~80 yrds away). After letting things settle for a bit (aka let the shakes let up) I get down to see if I can find anything. I find the trail he was on but see no blood at all. Itís a Red pine forest that loggers selected cut a few years ago so some natural shooting lanes exists. The floor of the forest from the needles would blend any blood. Finding no blood I started to get worried. Did I miss? Did I hit a tree? Did I just dream about pulling the trigger? At that time I looked to the East towards the swamp and there he laid, NO BLOOD. 20 yards from where I saw and shot! Ended up being a neck shot! I let my cousin know and at that time realized I left my knives at home. I brought them home to sharpen them and forgot to bring them back. My cousin and his 13yr old boy come over from his stand (1/8th mile away), they help me clean it. We decide to drag it to an easy location for the wheeler (we are 1.5 miles away from the cabin) and let it sit until dark.

My cousin and his boy then sit in my stand while I walk back to theirs to wait until dark to grab the wheeler to get the deer out. Texting my wife letting her know my plans for Sunday night (which I still didn't know) and watching a Grouse screw around in a clearing I hear something in the woods around 5pm. Thinking it was the grouse I see brown walk by. I grab my trustee 30/30 and it comes out in my cousins opening between a bunch of smaller poplar, itís a big Doe. Itís looking at me at 50yrds and I shoot. It crashes back in the woods. Knowing my cousin and his kid arenít going to believe what just happened, I get down looking for blood or any sign that I hit it. Again NO blood at all and itís getting dark. I have the flashlight on my phone but itís not doing any justice. My flashlight is back at my stand with my cousin as I carried nothing but my gun when I left them (a bit warm). How did I miss broad side at 50 yrds with a gun rest? I wait until 5:30 to grab the wheeler to go load the buck up and then all three of us can go looking for the doe. We load up the buck and by the time we get back to my cousins stand an uncle and a family friend come to help look for the doe. We search for 20 minutes with no blood and at this time I am thinking I may have to come out in daylight on Monday when I see her, piled up ~60 yards from where I shot her. Shot out the heart and other side of the ribs. We get her back to the cabin ate some dinner (DRANK A TON OF WATER as we were exhausted at this point) and find out itís the doe we call ďnotchĒ as she had a slice in her ear. We have seen her for 3 years now on camera. Never with fawns but a deer that is always around our cabins.

Sorry about the length of this message. I had only shot 2 deer (both forks) in 22 years (minus some years for babies, work or Grad school) and do it mostly for the memories & tradition. Typically get bored so I walk the woods looking for ďstuffĒ. Outside of my cousin and wife the first message was to my dad who canít hunt this year because he is in Haiti on a mission trip with my mom for 2 years. We have our moments but I am proud of my parents who are volunteering two years of their retirement to help the less fortunate. Iím sure he had a smile once he was able to get the photo.

Oh yea left the cabin at 6AM this morning (didnít want to press my luck with deer) and was in at work at 9:15. Iíll be back up 2nd weekend & 3rd (with my two girls just as my dad did with me) hunting the bigger of the 8 pointers we have on camera. Thanks for listening!

PS Ė Family friend also show a doe yesterday and my cousinís boy shot a big doe this AM.

[img]https://nxtb0g.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3meFSpd4_CSnnOaabRdOMHa5oGpTngWPahcs4QRXU3uNXhz74XE9qJljiGHxGdZS1tbEFo-fj_jLUlLrI06Cu1rH3wIKbK2rZlU2_4lsq7H0C9i3kTM7kZ3Hrf7O2nGWIMHJKZuHhqKiJo3o6IPHEBeqq9SN30hA0zxG0WmBA8Vf8?width=720&height=540&cropmode=none[/img]

[img]https://obtu0g.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3mFUkN7u_NUK6bW9f-WLx5Rk_5y1WcDDmGo68nwBZsP9cChGD8NHZb4wsZB1Nr0gH_uPrHqQB2rLF6KQc-0A8Vf1TuFmv1bMv7HZLx_dbSt8R4LQ5Axy1sdhZgzGx6ArX91gf7l4WdhCzyarwkkhBgeaB14Ujf_WUpczJf1RRVwQg?width=720&height=540&cropmode=none[/img]

[img]https://nxtc0g.dm2302.livefilestore.com/y3m0j-nQS1rQNvBjWtQe-b84XEPvH1h1QYlpytQLLJxzYCuX4NBvNcGf48ee_q89wJwVP7f38WFnALD3lOdG0D5jBWrLK5zVSf-1413gK-NtiA55Q4MMK7Oaqg4ZZvI67PXJX8oQhX3ntHfny26BoZwW5vc1THio2uWYl9mKvfAnvU?width=2432&height=4320&cropmode=none[/img]

Attach file:

jpg  FB_IMG_1478472346358.jpg (41.04 KB)
141_5820cca137e14.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  FB_IMG_1478544399689.jpg (32.40 KB)
141_5820ccb7affd2.jpg 720X540 px

jpg  IMG_20161106_152537952.jpg (4,633.40 KB)
141_5820ccc3d98bc.jpg 2432X4320 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 13:59

LSF Member
From Ramsey
171 - five hunters, one spike buck on the ground and several other sightings, but no shots possible at them. Seeing less sign than usual, and we haven't been finding buck sign where we usually do. We hunt public land and in spite of the warm weather we saw fewer hunters than expected. Heading back up in the morning for a few days, back for a day, then at it again this weekend.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 16:34

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Zone 246 10 guys- lots of deer seen- 3 bucks taken(2 forks and my 8) and 1 doe. 6 bears seen- 2 singles, and mom w 3 cubs

Beautiful opener- Had ducks, geese, and swans coming and going all morning in pond behind me. Turkeys gobbling all around me.I sat farthest away from ppl as I could and right along a swamp that has a field next to it with pinch point between the field and swamp. At first light I saw a buck cross my field but it was too early and would have had no interest in him anyway.....not to long after I had a bout a 125 pound bear cross the field, warm weather has them still active and we saw more as a group. After that it was a fairly quiet morning for shots but had a few across the swamp. Had a quick breakfast @1030 and waited for everyone to start creeping out of stands....took a little longer this year with warm weather but about 11 you could here the wheelers light up and kept this way for next hour. I was sitting all day and waited for them to bump a buck my way. Around 130 my stomach was growling and lunch was soon, I wanted to wait for the rush back to the stands for the chance of a buck getting bumped which might be what happened next as I heard a commotion behind me by the swamp. Still not sure if he came running in there or if he was just ripping things up for scrape/rub but the sound only lasted a bit....after waiting patiently for 45 minutes nothing had really happened and I started thinking about my sandwich again when heard the faint noise of a deer walking in right in front of me and I could see a good amount of antlers through the brush. He came to the edge of my field to glass for does. The problem was my stand was located about 8 yards off of field and there was a point of brush between me and him. He stood in my field for 5 minutes and I was sure he would just back up and head back to swamp with no does in the field, instead he decided to cross and after a few steps I saw his body and knew he was a mature deer. Glassed his rack and after contemplating pass I decided to let the hammer down. Clipped the top of his heart at 35 yards and he spun back to the woods, knew he was hit hard by the way he got back to woods and heard only a few seconds of crashing before it went silent- 2016 tag filled with this nice 8

Attach file:

jpg  20168ptr#2.jpg (3,615.93 KB)
13453_5820fe8c3ba2f.jpg 1520X2688 px

jpg  20168ptr.jpg (3,577.28 KB)
13453_5820fe981d223.jpg 2688X1520 px

jpg  1442.JPG (2,811.20 KB)
13453_5820feb075ec1.jpg 3264X2448 px

jpg  1262.JPG (611.13 KB)
13453_5820feb7d4d72.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/11/7 17:23

LSF Member
From Hugo, MN
Zone 159 near Beroun...Only deer I saw were before and after shooting hours. Very limited amount of shooting anywhere around me. Lots of pics of spikes and small bucks on my trail cam but mostly at night. Way too warm for me. Haven't hunted deer in a baseball cap since I used to bowhunt. Things will get better for me once some cooler weather sets in.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 17:42

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Zone 176 for our 3-1/2 man crew. Few seen overall, but my 10 yr old boy shot an adult doe on day 1. His first. To say I was a proud dad would be the understatement of the season. I managed a mature buck tonight. Woulda (probably) been a 10, but half of a main beam was busted off, so it was a 9. Big deer. Wish I had a scale, but like a lot of things in life.....if only.....lol.

Overall, I would rate it as the best opener ever. Slow action, but the results were better than I would have hoped!

Posted on: 2016/11/7 23:10

LSF Member
Best opener for us, usually get 1-2 average-to-small bucks a year and a doe or two. This year we got the three pictured below opening morning and tagged another smaller buck and doe later that evening and the next day. Didn't hear as many shots as I'm used to hearing though.

Oh and zone 213 by the way.

Attach file:

jpg  HmKqUP6w.jpg (674.25 KB)
6653_582247ad725d7.jpg 1152X2048 px

Posted on: 2016/11/8 16:47

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright © 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page