Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Bobcat Sighting
LSF Member
From Ramsey
No deer, but I did see a bobcat from my stand late yesterday afternoon.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 22:57
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Bobcat Sighting
LSF Member
From Ramsey
I attached the image but it doesn't post for some reason - you aren't missing much being that it's pretty grainy, but that's a first for me.

Posted on: 2016/11/10 23:01

LSF Member
Where was this?

Posted on: 2016/11/10 23:21

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

Smallmouthbass wrote:
Where was this?

Halfway between Aitkin and Hill City near 169. He moved past my stand in a thicket. My brother saw him briefly from his stand and a short time later he heard a grouse flush (or attempt to) in the thicket. We heard a squirrel barking for about 25 minutes following this and I think he got and was eating the grouse during that time.

I can't imagine a bobcat would have any impact on deer activity being that they really aren't a direct threat, but I wonder just the same...

Posted on: 2016/11/11 9:22

LSF Member
When our house cat that weighs about 20 lbs is outside and deer come into the yard the cat will walk or run right up to them and they do not run. I have seen the cat and a fawn even touch noses. It does not seem the deer fear the cat at all.

But, when we had our little lap dog, as soon as he went outside and ran up to the deer they cleared the yard. Maybe it was a combination of the dog barking and approaching the deer.

My point is I don't think a smaller cat like a bobcat would clear the area of deer, especially this time of year. A larger canine would cause the deer to alter there movement patterns much quicker than a smaller feline.

ClearCreek

Posted on: 2016/11/11 14:32

LSF Member
From Ramsey
Quote:

ClearCreek wrote:
When our house cat that weighs about 20 lbs is outside and deer come into the yard the cat will walk or run right up to them and they do not run. I have seen the cat and a fawn even touch noses. It does not seem the deer fear the cat at all.

But, when we had our little lap dog, as soon as he went outside and ran up to the deer they cleared the yard. Maybe it was a combination of the dog barking and approaching the deer.

My point is I don't think a smaller cat like a bobcat would clear the area of deer, especially this time of year. A larger canine would cause the deer to alter there movement patterns much quicker than a smaller feline.

ClearCreek

I thought as much. I researched about the differences between a bobcat and a lynx in trying to determine which I'd seen. The area is within both of their home ranges, but I'm confident this was a bobcat. One site spoke about a lynx being able to take fawns and even being able to kill an adult deer if in the right circumstances. I think that's laughable, but it did cause me to consider the possibility.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:20

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
I too had a bobcat run by my stand opening day around 4 pm. I was sitting there trying to convince myself I didn't see a big cat since it was daylight when my buddy hunting about 500 yards away texted saying "you'll never believe what just ran past my stand, a bobcat"

We were north of Mille lacs a few miles.

Posted on: 2016/11/11 16:22

LSF Member
From A private lake in the woods
I'm off 200 between Hill City and Remer. We've got bobcats all over. (Or maybe I always see the same one, but doubt it.)

No noticeable impact on the deer around here. I still have 7 does/fawns/yearlings that spend nearly all their time on our property.
They've crossed paths within a couple hours of each other many times.

Much rather have bobcats around than all the wolves that we do.

Posted on: 2016/11/12 11:52

LSF Member
Hunt south of Hill River forest had bobcats on trail cams all fall.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 8:57

LSF Member
From Ramsey
I had no idea they were so prevalent in the area - it was pretty cool to see anyway.

Posted on: 2016/11/23 22:30

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page