Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Doe fawn pairs
LSF Member
From North St. Paul
Hey guys,

I've been seeing non stop Doe fawn/yearling pairs slot this year.
I like it for the deer herd that I'm hunting but I don't want to poke a doe that has a yearling that has a possibility of not making it through the winter. I don't have a hard time making the decision around the end of December but just looking to see what other folks experience is. If they have a better chance than I'm thinking? What is your guy's opinion on shooting a mature doe but leaving the yearling to join the herd.

Thank you,

Posted on: 2016/11/15 14:46
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Doe fawn pairs
LSF Member
From SE MN
I have 2 thoughts on that.

1. The does are normally kicking the fawns loose around now anyhow for breeding. Especially the buck fawns. They may hook up later but maybe not too. So really, they may be on their own soon anyhow.

2. In my opinion, the fawns will be ok without the doe. All of them, No. Coyotes or other hunters not too picky might get them as they are still a little on the dumb side. Or wolves if up north.

It might depend more on the area...I'd be inclined to think a fawn up north would be better off with the doe...down south, not so much.

my 2 cents..

Posted on: 2016/11/15 15:26

LSF Member
The longer they stay with the adults will probably give them the best chance at survival mainly because they'll do a better job at avoiding predators including hunters. However, they'll probably be on their own fairly soon anyways so its probably a negligible difference.

In the area I rifle hunt I've been seeing a lot of does with twins during the season the last few years. I didn't have a doe permit so I passed on them but I may have anyways in hopes of letting the population grow. Although where I bow hunt I need to take a doe to earn a buck so then all bets are off. The population is also rock solid so need to thin the herd a little.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 15:45

LSF Member
I have no reasoning behind it but just from an experience i had last year. Kept seeing 2 fawns, no doe last year every time i sat. I decided to pass on them everytime. I was happy to see this fall that they both made it through the winter (Wasn't a very harsh winter) Just one experience i've had, so when someone tells you to take them cuz they wont make it, it's not entirely true

Posted on: 2016/11/15 16:15

Pro Staff
From walker
I think also it has to do with how small they are. I have seen some pretty small fawns compared to other fawns. Born later I would assume.
Also I always thought a yearling was a deer that has lived a year and a fawn is just a fawn.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 16:33
www.walleyetrips.com
Fish house rental - www.leechlakeicefishing.com
218-368-6424

LSF Member
From St. Paul, Hackensack-Longville-Leech
Quite the timing for this article.....

https://www.qdma.com/shoot-doe-fawns/

Posted on: 2016/11/15 17:17

LSF Member
From Chaska/Leech Lake
Great post. Very interesting article.
Thanks
tweed

Posted on: 2016/11/15 17:57

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
Interesting topic and article. Not sure where the pic is from, but the fawn looks about the size of the Does i see, fawns i see are quite a bit smaller. That being said, I think Haleysgold thoughts are pretty spot on. "It depends on the conditions where you hunt". In lower deer density areas and coyote/wolf issues I would guess the survival chances are pretty slim (could be slim anyways). Where I hunt, there's plenty of deer for a surviving fawn to group up with through the winter, and plenty of food available, so I wouldn't give it a second thought to shoot a doe with a fawn.

Posted on: 2016/11/15 21:18

LSF Member
From North St. Paul
Thanks for the replys everyone. Im glad I can pick your guys brain a bit. Thank you for the attached article aswell. Very informative.

Posted on: 2016/11/16 22:55

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page