Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Big Push?
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
This year was the first year I hunted heavily around the DL/pelican area, but we have two pieces of hunting property west of New London that we typically hunt most of the season. This year wood ducks were scarce. Hardly a teal at all. Near DL reports north of town were generally pretty good, but the ringbills were wayyy down due to a generally poor rice crop. The stands were beautiful, but there was no starch production. So. Chalk that up to all the rain or whatever. But neither up north, nor by New London did I see even 1 ringbill this year and they usually dominate the diving duck population when they move in. All we saw for divers this year were 9 billion hooded mergs and goldeneyes came late. By DL was lots of mallards and goldeneyes and all the hooded mergs a guy could ever want to see.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 16:27

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
I didn't get out these last two weekends, and before that was 2 weekends deer hunting. But I'd agree with the above statement. The early season was good. Some mallards and teal and lots of wood ducks, but because we had a Woodie hotbed on private land that lasted 3 weeks. Overall the season pretty much sucked after the third weekend and never really recovered. Managed a couple Ringnecks too but just one here and there.
I was able to drive around and scout some last Wednesday and Thursday but with the fog I could count on my appendages the number of ducks between Evansville and Wendell. I didn't bother going out and put away the duck boat.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 16:39
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From On the fish!
It was a weird migration this year in mn even tho we don't get the numbers like nd and sd...I was north of Audubon scouting our land the weekend before rifle season and saw well over 500 mallards and a few hundred geese come out of our slough and the one connecting and land in our field but rifle season was a different story saw a few ducks while sitting in my deer blind and some geese and tons of swans I thought it was cool seeing swans since I never saw them growing up BUT after spending two weekends+ plus I now find them annoying as hell they sound like a ****ty pep band with all trumpets and trombones

Posted on: 2016/11/28 19:12

Staff Team
From Monticello/Paynesville
Quote:

eyes4life wrote:
I thought it was cool seeing swans since I never saw them growing up BUT after spending two weekends+ plus I now find them annoying as hell they sound like a ****ty pep band with all trumpets and trombones

You'd love a visit to monticello in the winter. We've got a couple thousand that stay on the river through the season. Never shown how to migrate after being introduced. They do a great job keeping a guy up at night.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 19:25

LSF Member
From central mn
Agreed,pretty crappy season in Mn,I hunt some private land in central Mn and northeast metro,early goose was really good until the farmer turned the field over (oats) and only a handful of ducks during the regular season which is unusual for this area,We got into a nice shoot near Appleton not long ago on wpa/wma's,the Dakotas on the other hand produced well in certain hand picked areas but took a lot of scouting,1st trip produced nice bag limits of woodducks,widgeon and a few pinner's(field hunting) as the mallards were still hangin in Canada,that changed when the recent snow storm blew thru,had a great couple days bangin big northern greenheads.

Not sure if I can put the gun's away just yet,I'm hearing ducks/geese are loading up in central Nebraska,always up for a road trip.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 13:29

LSF Member
From St.Michael, New Ulm
There are no big Pushes any more, mostly drips and spurts at best these days. Always a lot of waiting though!

I'm sure all of the water this year threw things off. Lots of places for them to hide outside of the normal lake and slough hangouts.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 14:08

LSF Member
From In a van down by the river
Average year, had good days, had bad. White Bear - Hugo area for us, with a few days on LOTW and near Fergus. Be nice to a find a late season goose shoot over Xmas. Unfortunately MN is a fly over state now due to poor habitat (drain tile). Had a full moon with a north wind if I remember correctly, that would tell me a night migration possibly?

Posted on: 2016/11/29 15:07

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Definitely geese migrating during super moon. We have a new puppy so I've been up at roughly 2:30 am every night. heard lots of distant honking. I second the "too much water" idea. I have to guess that's why my typically good lake spots were horse poo.

Posted on: 2016/11/29 23:51

LSF Member
How about the fact that we had an unusually warm fall and lakes are still open up north? If there is food and open water up in Canada, why would they leave? From reading the DU reports, it appears that the birds have just finally been moving within the last week or so, and not big pushes.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 9:08

LSF Member
From Secret X
Why do the Dakotas get a longer season than Minnesota? I wish they would shut our season down for more than just five freaking days to extend it into December

Posted on: 2016/11/30 13:06

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page