Re: Big Push?
LSF Member
Planning on being out Saturday AM.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 14:30

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Anybody get out today ahead of it?
I MAY try tomorrow, though with the crazy winds I'm a little worried about going out in the boat or canoe alone. And with the rain and snow I'm not liking the idea of field hunting and getting the truck stuck. There is at least one walk in spot I can try but it isn't exactly a migrant hotbed. And if I don't head up tonight, tomorrow isn't looking good to travel either... This hunting (or planning it) is stressing me out!

Posted on: 2016/11/17 16:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
To Verle-

I did question him when I got the "got my limit" text early in the morning. He sent me the picture. then the next day too, I looked closely and they were completely different ducks. 2 days in a row got his limit in less time than it took him to set up in the morning.

I on the other hand have spent the last few days sloshing around cat tails because that's where i'm seeing the most pheasants. I hate hunting cat tails until they freeze and even then they are too much work. I don't understand why we are seeing most our pheasants in the cat tails, they have to be standing in water up to their nuts.

Posted on: 2016/11/17 16:50

LSF Member
Any reports? 3 for 3 on some mallards. Nothing else showed any interest. Nice morning however.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 19:14

LSF Member
From St. Cloud
Someone pulled out in front of me on Thursday after work and mangled my truck pretty bad. Probably totaled, we'll see. Needless to say my season is looking to be finished. Dumb.

Posted on: 2016/11/19 20:08

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
I made it out Thursday evening (b4 storm) Friday during storm, Saturday in the butt ass cold and Sunday when stuff was icing. Very very poor. All DL area. This last weekend of thanksgiving I went Thursday over by mille lacs and it was good. Should've done better. Friday by little falls and blew a boat trailer hub and got a lonely bluebill. And Saturday by spicer and it again was very very poor. All in all. This was not a good season for me, although I had a few good days. Even opener was off. I usually don't buy in to the duck breeding and pop surveys and this year proved why. Even with minnesotas numbers supposedly up - it was a generally awful year.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 8:56

LSF Member
From Secret X
This was by far the worst duck season ive hunted. And it wasn't for lack of trying

Posted on: 2016/11/28 10:30

LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes
Quote:

smackem33 wrote:
This was by far the worst duck season ive hunted. And it wasn't for lack of trying

I could not agree more. I didn't miss a weekend and hunted during the week numerous times. Only thing that saved it a little for me is i shot more mallards than I have in quite some time. But. One big issue I have is I did not see a ringbill all year. Not one. Didn't shoot one, didn't see one get shot, didn't see any flying. Just terrible. Weird and terrible.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 10:54

LSF Member
From MN
Same for us. Just a terrible year. Although I did spend more time in the deer stand this year than normal (didn't feel like ducking weather). Outside of opener it's been terrible. Some Mallards finally showed up last week and stayed around this weekend.

We never hit the early migration: the teal, wigeon, Cans, ringbills were non-existent this year.

I'm conflicted whether the duck numbers are either way off... or... they mostly migrated at night with the unusually warm temps during sunlight hours.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 12:06

LSF Member
For us this season was better than last but definitely not our best. Did well early in the season because we found a wood duck honey hole with some mallards here and there. Usually we do very well on teal but this year I think we only got one. Experienced a bit of a mid season lull but finished well with ringbills and some scattered mallards.

Where do you hunt at arneb04, the last two seasons pretty much all we've been seeing for divers is ringbills and there's no shortage of them (little north of Alexandria). Nothing for other divers though..

Posted on: 2016/11/28 16:02

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page