Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

2nd Estrous cycle timing?
LSF Member
From Park Rapids
I bow hunted quite a bit right before rifle season, and the few does I have around all still have fawns with them, even now, every single day the pictures are does and fawns together - I'm thinking these does will be second estrous cycle deer, and the possibility of a late rut at my place. I always have a few days in early december with a mature buck showing up on camera with a doe, have you guys witnessed any uptick in buck activity again where you hunt, or are we still a week or so early for the 2nd cycle?

Posted on: 2016/11/28 11:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: 2nd Estrous cycle timing?
LSF Member
I was also curious about this, as i had a doe with a fawn still in my yard the other day. I figured it was just a millennial deer and they hang around their mom until there 3 or 4 these days

Posted on: 2016/11/28 11:15

LSF Member
From central mn/ l.o.t.w
They also could of been bred already and have met back up with each other....I know in my area they are starting rejoin momma again

Posted on: 2016/11/28 12:00

LSF Member
From St. Henry, MN
Typically the does and fawn will join back up after she gets bred. Not at all unusual that she would have a fawn with her again. I would bet she is bred already, most of the does get bred the 1st time around.

If a does gets missed or doesn't take the first time around, usually they will come around again 28 days later. This will usually be the early part of December around the 10th or so. That's why you see that mature buck with a doe in the early part of December.

I did see a smaller buck harassing a doe Saturday morning, but the rut should be over at this point. I think the buck I was watching was just hoping to catch one more, the doe didn't want anything to do with him.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 12:47

LSF Member
From Park Rapids
Yeah, my experience has been that they meet back up, but I check my camera every single day at home, and there was no break where they kicked off their fawns for a week or so, they were just together all the time, very abnormal. Last year on the very last day of rifle season I had a doe running like crazy through the woods with two fawns desperately trying to catch up to her as she ran away to avoid them - so it's not like it doesn't happen late for a few of them, it's just weird to me, I had pictures of two big bucks on camera every night in checking does and not a single one went in to heat, because the does stuck around and the bucks finally moved off, never a picture of a buck actually with a doe, which there always has been when they're actually in breeding mode.

Posted on: 2016/11/28 14:05

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page