Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

He made it
LSF Member
From Crystal
A buck I hit the Friday before opener on Nov 4th is showing up regularly on cams again and seems in good health. I hit no man's land above lungs below spine. He would have been personal best. You can see the scar on his back.

Attach file:

jpg  WGI_0017.JPG (596.12 KB)
4436_583f83ece9905.jpg 3264X2448 px

Posted on: 2016/11/30 20:59

Re: He made it
LSF Member
From East Bethel
Wow!!! Still got a month to poke him with an arrow.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 21:48

LSF Member
From mora mn
Bummer you didn't get him but nice hr is still alive and well. They are tough animals. Buddy works at a meat market that takes in deer and has found partial arrows in deer that were killed with rifle.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 21:50
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Muskieman,

That's a great buck. I would say your shot is above the spine.
"No Man's Land" does not exist. There is no void below the spine that is above the lungs. Good luck with getting him!

Shannon Crum1 year ago (edited)
Lot's of misconceptions of thoracic anatomy in this thread. Like another poster, I'm a Registered Respiratory Therapist with over 21 years of clinical experience. Let me settle a few of these. First one has to understand that the lungs will fill up the entire thoracic cavity on both full inspiration and full expiration. The differences in volume is not because the lungs get smaller INSIDE the rib cage, it's because the ribcage's internal volume gets smaller. The diaphragm moves towards the rear of the animal and the ribs swing towards the front, increasing the internal volume of the thorax. The lungs are "pneumatically sealed" into the ribcage. The lungs can seperate from the ribcage only when either air or a fluid is allowed entry into the space between the lung and ribs (pleural space). This will all be true with the animal in any position or orientation.

Whenever you "double lung" a deer you're taking out both lungs hopefully. When you single lung a deer they can live longer bacause they still have some potential respiratory capacity in the undamaged lung. The reason some deer live even double lunged is that the lungs are pretty good at sealing themselves up and consist of several lobes. This means one lobe can be deflated and blood/the arrow/foreign matter can plug the airways between the lobes and allow the remaining part of that to have a least a minimal respiratory capacity."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5fkdN0tuI

Posted on: 2016/11/30 22:39

LSF Member
From Mora
Amazing how tough of an animal they really are. The last big buck I shot had a broadhead in his shoulder that healed over from who knows when. Just amazing how they can survive shots like that. Good to see hes still alive it gives you hope again knowing hes alive.

Posted on: 2016/11/30 23:07

LSF Member
For all you hunters that believe the "no mans land" or the "void between the lungs and spine" myth, please watch this video:

http://www.outdoorhub.com/how-to/2016/11/25/video-understanding-deer-anatomy-helps-make-better-shots/

In fact, all deer hunters need to watch it ever now and then.

ClearCreek

Posted on: 2016/11/30 23:32

LSF Member
Pretty good video. Although I can say that I harvested a large doe this year with a low heart shot that did not touch lung. It was a direct broadside shot. How I know this is 2 reasons. 1). She ran about 40 yards and dropped. Before she expired she let out a looooong bellow. 2.) When I dressed her, her lungs were in tact and there was a slice through the lower part of her heart. Very informational video though. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 0:04

LSF Member
From Crystal
I guess I always thought there was that spot high where there was no man's land..... as someone said I don't think I was below the spine, but who knows. I was 20 ft up with 18 yard shot. I didn't find a drop of blood and it was a pass thru shot.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 8:51

LSF Member
That looks like a back strap shot. Straight through the muscle, so not a lot of blood, if any.
Inch or two lower and you spine that buck with a good chance of recovery. Hopefully, you run into him again!

Posted on: 2016/12/1 19:05

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page