Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Late season strategy
LSF Member
This is my first year bow hunting and I've only been able to get out 4 days so far. I'm looking at taking one final 2 day trip to give it once last chance.

What kind of strategy do you think is best this time of year?

I'm hunting 20 total acres within city limits so they have not been pressured at all by gun hunters and I only know of 1-2 bow hunters in the area. The 20 acres is split between 2 properties. One 10 acre property is mostly tall grass and dense brush, no place to hang stands or even put up a blind but makes good cover for the deer. The other property is mostly birch and a few other trees mixed in with a small low land area. I've been hunting either side of the low land as it creates a funnel of sorts and the deer travel along it one side or the other. I've seen or heard deer moving along this low land each of my sits so far just haven't had a shot yet. Is that travel route still a good spot to set up?

I cant necessarily set up right over their food as they do a lot of browsing in the residential yards. Early in the year they hit all the apple trees on one property, not sure what they are eating now. It looks like that travel route I've hunted is likely their main north south route between all of the properties and all the deer I've seen have moved out of the dense cover on one property and all headed north, most have been int he afternoon but a few have been in the morning as well.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for?

Posted on: 2016/12/1 14:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Late season strategy
LSF Member
From mora mn
Well since you don't have the food on the peice u are hunting I would hunt that main trail where they go g from bedding to food. As the temps get colder and colder them deer will have only one objective and that is eat and use as little energy doing so. Mornings starts getting less activity and evening more. Them cold blue bird days will get them moving esrlier in the evening.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 19:25

LSF Member
When it gets cold , it's all about food . Don't rule out mid day sits either.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 19:51

LSF Member
This will likely be my last hunt of the season as I'm low on vacation time and the rest of my weekends are booked through the new year so I'll be sitting as long as humanly possible. I've got some good areas for a ground blind so my set up in that with a little buddy heater if its real cold so that I can try to sit all day.

Posted on: 2016/12/1 23:44

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page