Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Attaching Reels to Ice Rods
LSF Member
From East Central MN
Wondering what everyone's preference is for attaching their reels to cork handled ice rods? I have looked at Cold Snap rubber rings, and electrical tape. Really don't wanna use electrical tape on my new rods. Awhile back I seen a video on some type of tape that isn't suppose to stick to cork? Anyone know what it is or have better suggestions?

Posted on: 2016/12/5 10:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Attaching Reels to Ice Rods
LSF Member
From Fargo, nd
The Tape that doesn't stick to the cork is the reel tape. I personally haven't used it but my buddy's do. I just the cold snap rings to hold my reels on and it work good for me because i am switching reels between rods all the time because i build a new one and want to try it. I don't want to be taping reels all the time.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 10:34

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I have been using electrical tape for years. Never had an issue with the cork being damaged.

YES, I admit I use different color tape so it matches the rod.

"hello, my name is Tim and I have a problem"

Posted on: 2016/12/5 10:43

LSF Member
I use the gauze tape that's used for handles for racquetball, tennis, etc. It works great.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 10:53

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I've been using the Cold Snap rubber bands and they work really good.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 11:08

Staff Team
Cold snap rubber bands are the only thing I use to attach my reels to my ice rods. Cabelas has them for 5.00 and it will do four rods. Very simple and they work very well..........Kirk

Posted on: 2016/12/5 11:32

Pro Staff- The Dangler

KING OF THE CATS CHAMPION 2011

LSF Member
From Farmington MN
I use the silicone tape you can get in the plumbing depts of most hardware or big box stores. It sticks to itself but not anything else.
Some people call it Tommy Tape, but that is just one of many brands of it.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 15:27

LSF Member
Those rubber bands are castration bands available at Fleet or anyplace that sells farm stuff. They are very inexpensive. They slide off a little too easy for me.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 15:30

LSF Member
From Saint Paul
My preference is the the Strech Grip tape- bought from the local sporting goods store or ( https://www.totalhockey.com/product/Stretch_Grip_Tape/itm/4784-1/ )

This works great and is cheaper than what is sold as reel tape.

I also use the rubber bands as they came on my TUCR Rods, but dont like how they wear a groove into the handle.. Ill be switching these to tape in the near future.

Posted on: 2016/12/5 15:32

LSF Member
From St Michael
I used the castration bands last year, and I hated the way they gouged the cork. This year I wanted to experiment, so I did one rod with electrical tape, but I put a single layer of blue painter tape on first. For the second rod I used the clam rod tape. It's similar to electrical tape but it is thicker and it doesn't
Leave any residue. The roll was like $5 and works for up to ten rods. I will be using the clam tape exclusively in the future.
Dan

Posted on: 2016/12/5 15:52

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page