Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Looking to expand
LSF Member
From Minneapolis
What kind of tools are you using? Do you have a Marcum or vexilar? You can usually find a used model on the cheap side. A GPS? With a lake map loaded. I think someone else mentioned the lake masters for your phone, that is a great tool to use. An underwater camera can be useful to find weed lines in new area that you might be exploring.

Other tools that are free only in the winter time, look for old holes or foot prints in areas that you think could be a good spot. Lots of times, someone else is already doing your research. And lastly, drive by the lake and see where other people are fishing--you might not be able to get out that day or for a few days but it could give you a hint where fish are holding.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 15:29
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
I'm far from an expert but I do well enough to keep my belly full. There are times I catch walleye in 30 plus feet but I typically have my best luck in 10 to 15 feet near deep water. One thing I have going for me is these lakes do not get a ton of traffic so I don't have to worry about excess pressure and noise. If you fish a high pressure lake try to get away from people as much as you can, it will help.

Posted on: 2016/12/6 16:17

LSF Member
I am restricted by finances on travel do I stay with in 50miles of home. I do have GPS, marcum vx1p and I'm fairly mobile. I run 4lbs test, I am fairly good with my vx1p had it for 5+ yrs.when I select an area I punch alto of holes from 10ft of water to 30+. I normally end up with alto of pennies and no etes. I have spoons, darters, tip ups with red hooks and shiners or fats just UN lucky I guess

Posted on: 2016/12/6 20:13

LSF Member
From Glyndon
I'm sure this is something fairly obvious, which is why there hasn't been much mention of it in this string - but don't forget that Walleye fish quite a bit differently than crappie or gills. Walleyes are primarily bottom feeders - you'll catch a majority of them in the winter within a foot of the bottom. Don't be scared to use a depth stop to put your hook and minnow at depths from 1-6" off the bottom. A lot of times a walleye will show up on your flasher as just a thicker red line that's connected to the bottom, or just a slight separation from the bottom, vs. gills or crappie which tend to stack up and down the water column.

I'm sure you knew it, but if not - try going "lower" for eyes.

Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/12/8 11:17

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page