Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Battery recommendations
LSF Member
From North Metro
Okay, so I am in the final stages of my snowmobile build and go figure true to my fashion the ice is around the corner and I still have a couple things to buttum up before I can take the sled fishing. So I have a 2004 F7 ext efi with no battery, pull start only, not a big deal, however I have a helix 7 mounted at the helm, wires have already been run to the back of the sled where a large sealed tote will house a battery to power the unit. My question is being that this is mounted on a custom built aluminum rack on the back of the tunnel that will also be holding an auger and vexilar, what battery can you recommend for longest run time and lowest weight. I am kicking around a 20ah SLA that weighs in around 12 pounds, any idea roughly how many hours I can get out of a battery such as this? Gel cell is out of the question due to weight and not sure about ponying up over a hundred bucks for a 10ah lithium for half the run time. Any thought/opinions welcome and appreciated, thanks in advance. Will post pictures upon final completion.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 22:53
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Battery recommendations
LSF Member
From Zipple Bay & Plymouth
go for agm due to vibration.

Posted on: 2016/12/7 23:42

LSF Member
From North Metro
Below is a link to the battery I was thinking of purchasing, it appears to qualify as an AGM battery. I also plant to put the battery in a foam padded battery box which should cut down on vibration. Anybody know roughly what kind of run time I would be looking at? I will not be leaving the unit on at all times, but will have it on while driving from spot to spot which if up on Lake of the Woods could be 45 minutes form south shore up past the islands. Most of the time I will have a place to charge it every night but I do have a remote trip planned which will not allow me to charge the unit for 4 days. Thanks again.

https://www.amazon.com/ExpertPower-EXP12200-Rechargeable-Threaded-Terminals/dp/B00KC39BE6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1481236433&sr=8-3&keywords=12v+agm+battery

Posted on: 2016/12/8 17:50

LSF Member
From Minnesota
If you are just using for GPS between runs I don't see an issue with any sort of battery even a regular vexilar style battery. I run my helix with a regular battery all day with no problems.

Posted on: 2016/12/8 18:29

LSF Member
From North Metro
Hotice and Rip, thank you for the responses. So it would be safe to say that if I went with the 20ah battery I posted, I should get 4 days out of it using it during travel to and from fishing spots on a single charge? I have vex 28 but I plan to buy the ice ducer and carry case for the helix to use as a backup, this will be powered by a regular vex battery. Anybody know if there is a power cable made for ice fishing so I don't have to get creative with wiring?

Posted on: 2016/12/8 19:58

LSF Member
From South Metro
Any place to mount a small solar panel to trickle charge? Would take care of charging as long as there is sun...

Posted on: 1/2 12:58:02

LSF Member
regular battery

Posted on: 3/8 5:25:26

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page