Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Muzzleloader guys
LSF Member
From Mora
What kind of bullets do you all use? I missed two bucks this season using powerbelts. Will never use them again junk.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 17:25

Re: Muzzleloader guys
LSF Member
From Wright County, MN
Are you sure you missed? I lost two that I hit with very little blood. One I watched for 1/2 a mile. He fell down twice. No blood other than a small amount of spray where he stood when I shot. 20 yards away broadside. Ground was covered in snow blood trail should have been easy to follow. I was able to track him until he got into the woods then there was way to much deer tracks to follow his. The other I thought I missed. Found blood the next day 100 yards from where I shot. Followed it a little ways then it stopped. Both deer I spent at least a day walking grids looking for them, to no avail. I heard after that they don't expand very well. Could be the reason why. I switched to hornadays.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 17:56

LSF Member
From Princeton,MN
Did your testing of the bullets not reveal an issue?

Trying to wrap my head around how they made it past accuracy testing, and then failed afield.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 17:56
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
I've shot barnes for the last few years. Very impressed with grouping. My experience is they are the best bullet on the market. To piggyback MNdrifter, I shot Hornady SST's for several years and liked the accuracy but the bullet would absolutely disintegrate upon impact and leave little to no blood trail. Very happy with the impact and exit created by barnes.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 18:02
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Zimmerman/Roseau MN
I have tried to shoot powerbelts as well, but never took them into the field, I had major accuracy issues. Powerbelts claim to fame is the ease of loading, especially after the first shot is fired. to achieve this the shell diameter is smaller to reduce the amount of contact it has with the rifling, its a looser fit. it has major accuracy trade offs though, the plastic belt is suppoesd to expand and contact the rifling, it does but it just strips out and never twists the bullet. The spent bullets I rcovered showed this, and I could not keep a group even at 50 yards. For that reason I trashed them. I shoot hornady SST's 300 grain in 50 cal. no issues past 150 yrds at all. best thing to do is buy a few brands and test them, see what your gun likes. Also, what are you using for powder? just because the book says 150 grain max load doesn't mean its the the best for your gun, I had the best luck with 2, 50 grain and 1, 30 grain pyrodex pellets, my gun liked backing off 20 grains from max the best. Get to the range and dial it in, take a note book with you and record your findings! you'll be surprised what you'll find out and how much difference a small change can make!

Posted on: 2016/12/12 19:59

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
I have shot a variety of bullets through my 2 guns.

My CVA that is percussion cap has max load of 100grains of powder. I played with various brass jacketed bullets and found that in that particular gun groupings were miserable with any with brass. I now shoot 240 grain cheap shot sabots with 90 grains of powder. Shoots nice groups at 100 yards and each deer that has been shot from it has ran a max of 50 yards.

My newer gun I again tried a variety of loads but in the end I went smaller on the bullet going for the flatter shot. I am shooting Precision Rifle QT sabots that I got at Cabelas. I can't find them anymore but I believe they were either 210 or 220 grain. I don't shoot a full 150 grains of powder as I am not a believer that you burn that much and also don't care for all the barrel fouling. I currently scaled it back to 120 grains of loose powder. Shoots nice groups at 100 yards. I have shot several deer with this package and again max 50 yards from shot to drop with a nice blood trail.

I shot a buck Friday night with this gun. Granted was about 15 yard shot but entrance wound and exit wound were about the same size. Buck dropped in his tracks so cannot say what the blood trail would have been on this one.

Since I am running out of these I plan on changing next year. Will probably go back to 250 or 260 grain in the Thompson Center (shockwave) and will probably experiment with others.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2016/12/12 20:04

LSF Member
From Mora
The first buck I missed I ended up getting him yesterday so yes I know I missed. Yesterday I used a hornady sst shot him at about 70 yards and he went less than 50 yards. Dam powerbelts suck and why are they so expensive? Stupid

Posted on: 2016/12/12 20:36

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page