Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Ideas for Making Sure the ATV Starts this weekend?
LSF Member
I am heading up to Mille Lacs on Friday night and it looks like it's going to be epically cold, we are planning on getting up around 5:30am but want to make sure the ATV will start and go.
I planned on taking the battery out and keeping it inside the castle but it is a major hassle getting it connected again, especially when its cold.

I am thinking about using some hand warmers and stuffing them around the battery and keeping a charger hooked up to it.

any ideas and or tips on how other people deal with extreme cold making sure their wheeler will start?

Posted on: 2016/12/13 9:14
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ideas for Making Sure the ATV Starts this weekend?
LSF Member
Maybe synthetic oil in the crankcase or some type of magnetic block heater. If the oil is warm it will crank over a lot easier. Just one thought.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 9:33

LSF Member
From Mille Lacs/Landfall
i've used an electric blanket with some success.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 10:22

LSF Member
From Cloquet, MN
Depending on how difficult it is to remove/replace the battery, I'd definitely make sure to have a plan B. Anything requiring dexterity sure sucks when it's 15-20 below! Maybe run a trickle charger off the genny?

Posted on: 2016/12/13 10:28

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I used to use a car size battery. Actually a battery from a boat that was now in winter storage.

I had to add tangs to the atv battery so I could attach atv jumper cables easily in the cold.

Then I strapped the battery in a boat battery box to the rear rack of the atv.

I contemplated just wiring the battery to the atv but it was that many times a winter I drove it when it was that cold.

The pic is what I added to the battery so I could easily use jumper cables. Just enough to have something to grab on to.

Attach file:

jpg  909705_primary_225px.jpg (3.43 KB)
5905_585016f67460d.jpg 225X225 px

Posted on: 2016/12/13 10:40

LSF Member
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I used to use a car size battery. Actually a battery from a boat that was now in winter storage.

I had to add tangs to the atv battery so I could attach atv jumper cables easily in the cold.

Then I strapped the battery in a boat battery box to the rear rack of the atv.

I contemplated just wiring the battery to the atv but it was that many times a winter I drove it when it was that cold.

The pic is what I added to the battery so I could easily use jumper cables. Just enough to have something to grab on to.

I like this idea also. I have a battery jump pack that a person could leave warm in the ice house. Run it out to the wheeler and hook it up when it's time to start it.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 11:49

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
Throw your portable over it and run the buddy heater for a half hour before starting it.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 11:54

LSF Member
Quote:

Gunther wrote:
Throw your portable over it and run the buddy heater for a half hour before starting it.

That's another thought. I have an old Clam x2 canvas I was going to cover it with and I could just throw my heater under it for 30 mins while we get ready.
I think ill leave a charger on it all night then set the heater up and hopefully it will be good.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 12:08

LSF Member
From Columbia Heights, MN
I was just going to post about this...heading up to Red this weekend and wasn't sure how the ATV would handle that.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 12:24

LSF Member
I know a lot of newer ones don't have one but my Honda starts so easily with the kick starter that I never worry about the battery.

Posted on: 2016/12/13 12:24

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page