Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Ice Conditions Around Ely
LSF Member
From Plato, MN
Hey guys, I have a trip planned to the Ely area the first weekend in January and I'm just curious how the ice is looking up there? We'll be staying on Farm Lake and plan to fish that but might also hit Burntside and maybe a designated trout lake in the area to try for some rainbows and splake (any recommendations on that would be great). Anyways just wondering what kind of ice your seeing up there right now? Thanks!

Posted on: 2016/12/21 22:30
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ice Conditions Around Ely
Anonymous
Check the regulations for trout. If you're going in the BWCA it's open the 1st of the year, otherwise it's a couple weeks after. At least from my memory. Maybe things have changed

Posted on: 2016/12/21 23:03

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
Ahhhh, thanks for the heads up I'll look into the regulations

Posted on: 2016/12/22 9:44

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
You were right, first of the year within the bwca, mid January for lakes outside the bwca for all species of trout.

Posted on: 2016/12/22 10:36

When will you be headed to Ely?

Posted on: 1/3 0:10:08

LSF Member
From Cambridge, MN
I might be heading up this way this weekend.
any ice updates on vermilion and birch after this storm would be highly appreciated.

Posted on: 1/3 1:49:55

They were amazing. Only lakes with issues were the trout lakes burntside and snow bank. I will have more info tomorrow after people hit the trails and lakes tomorrow after the snow. I am sure slush is coming up but the temp isn't suppose to get above zero till Sunday. That should help. Will keep you posted.

Posted on: 1/3 22:11:55

LSF Member
From Cambridge, MN
Thanks! would love to get up there this weekend

Posted on: 1/3 23:42:08

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
I'm headed up tomorrow, looks like it's going to be a little chilly lol. Any lake recommendations for eyes? We're staying on the white iron chain and plan to fish that one day but would like to try something else too. I've heard good things in the past about Little Long and Section Twelve lake...

Posted on: 1/5 9:00:29

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
Didn't have too much luck, I heard they were catching quite a few small walleye's on Shagawa but we didn't get over there to fish. We fished Farm lake where it narrows down before getting into White Iron and the only thing we could muster up was a bunch of eelpout out of some of the deep holes. The ice is pretty sketchy in there so you have to be careful too. The cold temps combined with the wind made it pretty tough to be productive. We also went over to Little Long for a day and caught a few decent eye's but the bite was tough, would get some nice marks on the flasher but getting them to bite was a different story.

Posted on: 1/10 10:35:23

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page