Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

What flasher to buy
LSF Member
Looking at buying a flasher tomorrow and have been looking at the marcum and just wondering how they perform. I know some guys have issues with them always interfering with other flashers but they seem to have the best reviews. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/12/25 16:23
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: What flasher to buy
LSF Member
Any of the top 3 brands will do. Vex has a pretty good following and great customer service. Find one within your budget, on sale, and with zoom.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 17:53

Staff Team
From Bloomington

Posted on: 2016/12/25 20:27

LSF Member
From Plymouth, MN
I have a bird Ice 45 and love it. Have fished with partners that have Vex and Marcum and they seem nice too.

I bought a second unit this year, was mainly looking for a portable for boat fishing in the summer but picked up the Lowrance Hook 5 ice. Have not had it out yet but looking forward to testing it out soon. I was also interested in the Helix units but thought the price was a bit steep.

Posted on: 2016/12/25 21:29

LSF Member
From Eden Prairie, MN
Good call Oranda. Seems like this topic comes up every week.
Here is my 2 cents. When you look at the big 3: Vex,Marcum, and bird you arent going to find too many haters; well let me back that up a bit before I get skewered. Marcum had issues with their digital units but did send out an update that had mixed results and there are some frustrated customers. Me, I do run a Marcum LX-3tci and I love it. I'm happy to recommend it as a flasher. Great power, sensitivity, and adjustable zoom capabilities; especially at the price point. I haven't had to use but I hear customer service is great too. Now, my cents onot Vexilars. I have nothing bad to say about Vexilar. Don't own or even but have used them a lot. Great units and have a history of holding up. My father in laws fl-8 has to be 15 years old and works great. Now the bird...I got nothing. 😀
So real question is how much do you want to pay? Do you want a traditional flasher or digital? I am biased being a Marcum user, but for a traditional flasher I love my 3tci; compared to Vex and birds run they $200 more to get zoom/bottom lock and IR. If youre looking for innovation (digital/sonar with camera), again you have to look and the Marcum. If you are looking for the best history or reliability you have to look athrough Vexilar. What you really need to do is go to the store and look at them for yourself. Find the features that you feel you need. You ask a forum what to get and youre going to have me saying Marcum,the next guy saying Vex, next guy saying bird, next guy saying Lowrance and so on and so on. Do they all work? Yes. Will they so you what's under the ice? Yes. With they find the fish for you? No.

Best of luck and tight lines.

Posted on: 2016/12/26 0:51

LSF Member
From South Metro
So whatcha get?

Posted on: 1/2 12:54:02

LSF Member
I will say this. My marcum is about 10x quieter than my buddies vexlars. It is ridiculous how noisy those things are.

Posted on: 1/2 13:00:52

LSF Member
From Brooklyn Center & Isle
If you can afford it, the flx-28 is awesome. You can get by with a fl-8 just fine, but if you have the money just make sure you get a unit with Zoom.

Posted on: 1/2 13:03:24

LSF Member
From White Bear Lake
I will sell you my FL-18 with a lure lighting attached in a gens pack for $325. PM me if your interested bears.

Posted on: 1/2 14:42:39

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I have the FL-18 with the Genz pack and absolutely love it. I would never buy a unit without the 6' bottom zoom.

Posted on: 1/2 15:56:15

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page