Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Spoons
LSF Member
From Detroit Lakes, MN
I want to get some opinions on fishing with spoons. What success have you guys had with them and what your views and techniques are on them. Thanks

Posted on: 2016/12/26 23:30

Have fun and be safe!
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Spoons
LSF Member
It depends on the mood of the fish.Most spoons will work.I find they are much more effective with some type of bait tipped.Minnow heads,larvae and wax worms are a few types of bait used.Plastics can work to but the learning curve for that is longer.(Subtle movements best).Some spoons that come to mind are little cleos,sweedish pimples,(I consider these spoons),fireeye minnow,ivans smasher,do jigger,kastmaster,buckshot rattle.Just to name a few.Like all fishing lures spoons have their place and allot of times the fish are looking for something else!!!!!I'm always surprised at "new"presentations folks are catching with!!!!Have fun don't fall in!!!!!c63

Posted on: 2016/12/27 6:59

LSF Member
I use spoons for walleyes, perch, and crappies. On occasion I will use tiny spoons for gills as well. If fishing for panfish I usually load them up with spikes, sometimes small minnow heads.

My favorite spoons are buckshot spoons, slender spoons, and macho minnows.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 9:55

LSF Member
I have only had success with small spoons for panfish. Game fish I would starve on what I caught on spoons.

Posted on: 2016/12/27 10:13

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
I use larger spoons for eyes and sauger regularly. Medium-sized buckshots are my go to, but I also use holey angels, kastmasters and other larger spoons with a good fluttering action. Always tipped with a minnow head.

I use small spoons almost exclusively for panfish. Unless the bit is really negative, I use small buckshots, small frostees, and a few other kinds of small spoons tipped with spikes or waxees.

-Mike

Posted on: 2016/12/27 10:22

LSF Member
From Sauk Centre
do you rig them on swivels? I have heard this prevents a lit of line problems. just wondering what you all think.

Posted on: 1/2 18:01:21

LSF Member
From Bemidji area --Red Lake
I use a crane or barrel swivel tied to as long as possible 6# flouro leader where I can still hook my spoon to the rods bait keeper with-out having the swivel go through the first eye lid.

I love jigging spoons

Posted on: 1/2 18:53:54

LSF Member
From mora mn
For walleyes that's just about all I use is spoons. Won't even have a second line down. I tie direct to spoon. Tip with minnow head and good to go.

Panfish I do ocassianly but have good confidence with plastics so use them most of time.

Posted on: 1/2 20:55:33

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page