Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Lake Calhoun
LSF Member
I am new to ice fishing this year. Anyone ever ice fish Lake Calhoun? I know the City doeant allow gasoline boat motors there in the summer. Are there any restrictions against gasoline augers or ice fishing in general on Calhoun?

Posted on: 2016/12/30 0:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Lake Calhoun
LSF Member
I heard that gas augers are allowed, haven't done it myself. Also have heard big fish are in Calhoun but again I haven't fished it, will be trying this winter at some point

Posted on: 2016/12/30 10:36

LSF Member
From Lake Lillian, MN
Gas augers are allowed per city rules. It has some large fish in there including stocked muskies. I've gotten some dandy walleyes out of the lake in the 15-20 foot range. Watch out for thin ice near the canal by lake street.

https://www.minneapolisparks.org/activities__events/winter_activities/ice_fishing/#group_2_233393

Posted on: 2016/12/30 11:23

Anonymous
Calhoun is deep, so it seems to freeze slowly, especially at the north end. Check the ice often if you go out this weekend.

And post a report when you get back!

Posted on: 2016/12/30 11:26

LSF Member
From bloomington
Very deep and slow to freeze. Harriet's the same. Usually several inches behind all other local lakes. Try to find weeds. Fish of deep edge of weedlines or in cuts in weedline .look at map not hard to find. I prefer Harriet. Lots of places to fish close to shore. SE corner is a good spot to start.

Posted on: 2016/12/30 20:36

Field Staff
From South Minneapolis
As others have said gas augers are OK. I have tried calhoun a few times but also prefer harriet as there is usually easier parking and walking on than on calhoun. both offer decent fishing for in the city and there is a ton of structure to explore.

As others have said both lakes are usually well behind others on safe ice so check the ice and be careful. Give us an ice report if you get out there!

Posted on: 2016/12/31 9:38

Anonymous
I was out on Harriet yesterday, plenty of ice(about 6 inches) and plenty of aggressive fish to be found. My guess is that there will be good ice on Calhoun too--especially after this cold snap. Don't sleep on Eagle.

Posted on: 1/3 15:57:12

Anonymous
Fished Isles yesterday and got into the usual peewee crappies. What's biting on Harriet?

Posted on: 1/3 21:17:14

LSF Member
From Mineapolis
Fished Calhoun Sat night (Feb 4) .

Hole hopped on the SE side of the lake anywhere from 27 ft to 14ft. Once sunset came around we hunted down in the portable fishing in about 22 ft. Pulled two walleyes out on dead sticks with fat heads. One was around 20" and the other was 15".

During any light hours we pulled up a few mid size northern and a handful of tiny perch.

Posted on: 2/6 11:59:41

LSF Member
From Mineapolis
Ice:

Where we fished (SE Side) there was a solid 12" of ice.

Pictured below is the larger of the two walleyes.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_0296.JPG (491.97 KB)
36058_5898abb8c2b43.jpg 2047X1535 px

Posted on: 2/6 12:00:40

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page