Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Ion battery life
LSF Member
From South Metro
Anyone own an Ion long enough to know how many years you can get out of an Ion battery? 5 bills up front is enough for the auger, but if a guy needs to buy a $150 battery every 3 years - kinda seems like a money pit. I say 3 years because of an article I read about lithium ion batteries in general, saying that they lose their ability to hold voltage over that time period...

Looking for an alternative to the gas auger. Maybe propane, but that can be a whole ' nother topic...

Thanks!

SD

Posted on: 1/2 20:35:09
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Ion battery life
LSF Member
From SW Metro
Get the nils auger. You use a cordless drill and the batteries are a lot cheaper.

Posted on: 1/2 20:42:23

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
My brother just got a K-Drill for X-mas. Crushed 17 inches of ice on Red Lake last week. He was drilling holes because it was so fun. It also has a nice floaty built in, in case it comes loose and falls in the hole. Super light weight. Joes sporting goods had the best price before christmas.

Posted on: 1/2 21:02:52

LSF Member
From Minnesota
Second the k drill. Been running one for a couple years now. Drill companies will always be ahead of the auger companies when it comes to batteries and cheaper. Oh and I can build a house with my auger motor in the summer months or um fix a loose door handle.

Posted on: 1/2 21:32:26

LSF Member
I find it hard to do super delicate trim work with a drill bit hooked to my auger.I hate the gas fumes in an enclosed area.Maybe that's why my trim jobs look so #hitty!!!!!c63

Posted on: 1/3 4:49:43

LSF Member
From Northern MN
The k drill is waaay faster than the Ion X as well. K drill beat the new Ion X handily in a hole drill off.

Posted on: 1/3 10:48:40

LSF Member
From Hastings/Remer, MN
don't listen to these guys... get the ION. best auger hands down IMHO. just keep your battery in the truck or house with you, keep it warm.
I have the original, first year one, with the same battery, and it's still going strong. best auger i've ever owned.

(and I've have strikemaster electric, lazor, eskimos 3 hp gas, strike master 4 stroke, jiffy 3hp gas)

Posted on: 1/3 11:52:16
IBOT #286

If guns kill people, can I blame my pen for my mistakes?

LSF Member
stay with the gasser. Why burn up your drill batteries (still $100) and the ion is a joke for $150 battery replacement . My gas auger i bought for $200 and I've put one carb kit on it ($20) people that complain about gas odor own an suv . If you have a truck, who f*ck*ing cares.

Posted on: 1/3 13:49:50

LSF Member
From South Metro
I have the gas auger that works great. Just looking into investing in a drop down house I don't want to smoke all up.

Posted on: 1/4 16:59:26

LSF Member
Quote:

big_fish_guy wrote:
don't listen to these guys... get the ION. best auger hands down IMHO. just keep your battery in the truck or house with you, keep it warm.
I have the original, first year one, with the same battery, and it's still going strong. best auger i've ever owned.

(and I've have strikemaster electric, lazor, eskimos 3 hp gas, strike master 4 stroke, jiffy 3hp gas)

not sure why you need 6 augers?

I bought the ion last year because I bought a new castle. I did not like the delay when you press the trigger nor did I like the handles being what felt like 2' apart. I returned the ion at the end of last year and picked up the K-drill with the fuel hammer drill. now I have a nice drill for year round use. the K-drill is much lighter (9-11#'s) and works way better than the ion for reopening holes, no hang ups on bottom of the ice, lifetime blades.

Never going back to gas or ion.

Posted on: 1/5 14:03:31

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page