Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Polaris Ranger and Ice
LSF Member
If I have a Polaris Ranger 800, what would be a reasonable amount of ice I could drive it out on pulling a otter house?

I believe the ranger weighs close to 1400 lbs and the flip over otter has to be close to 200 lbs, I'm 250 lbs and the rest of gear would maybe be 100-200lbs.

So I would guess a total of 2000 - 2500 lbs depending on another passenger.

Is 6-8 inches good in other peoples opinion?

Posted on: 1/5 10:39:44
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Polaris Ranger and Ice
LSF Member
Quote:

fishingfan wrote:
If I have a Polaris Ranger 800, what would be a reasonable amount of ice I could drive it out on pulling a otter house?

I believe the ranger weighs close to 1400 lbs and the flip over otter has to be close to 200 lbs, I'm 250 lbs and the rest of gear would maybe be 100-200lbs.

So I would guess a total of 2000 - 2500 lbs depending on another passenger.

Is 6-8 inches good in other peoples opinion?

If you ask the opinion of the guy who dropped his truck thru WTB than yeah, he'd probably say its enough.

6-8" can be very sketchy as what is the condition of the ice? I'm a "one-footer" guy regarding my ATV and snowmobile. If ice as about 1 foot, I'll go out.

Posted on: 1/5 10:45:15

LSF Member
From apple valley, MN
I think it also depends on the quality of the Ice - if it is clear solid ice you can probably be safe at 6 but if is it cloudy with mulitple layers of snow/sleet or bad ice then maybe not.

There is no exact science to what is safe, especially when you can have 6 inches in one spot and 3 in another depending on conditions.

The link below has a good review of what the DNR recomends and explains how they go to the numbers. Scroll down it a bit and you can see a table ice thickness and weight.

Another factor to take into account is the weight distribution. If you are pulling the gear and sled you may not need to count that weight as it is distributed over a larger area.

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/bearing-strength/

Be careful not matter what and good luck.

Posted on: 1/5 10:50:31

LSF Member
I obviously know that no ice is safe ice. I'm just curios as to what others go by. Every graph out there has walking, atv/snowmobile, car & truck. Nothing out there ever states UTV.

I also know a lot depends on the ice conditions. Some years I won't drive my 1/2 ton out on 15". Other years I have had my 1/2 ton and 28' wheel house out on 14".

Like I said, just curious as to what the average is for a UTV...

Posted on: 1/5 11:09:19

LSF Member
From mora mn
I would say 6-8 would be a safe bet of good ice.

Posted on: 1/5 11:24:16

Field Staff
From Waseca
I use my Ranger 700 on minuim 8" of "good clear ice" and I have to be very certain the ice is generally consistent. In the event it isn't 8" in a spot its still likely enough to support the machine. I pull my 16x6.5 yetti out with the same machine when I feel it averages on the plus side of 10".

-Jeeves

Posted on: 1/5 11:32:39

That government is best which governs least.
-Henry David Thoreau

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page