Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Anyone else not like using tip ups?
LSF Member
I've started using Jaw Jackers last year here in Colorado for dead sticking. As the name implies, when the fish bites and swims off, it trips a trigger and the rod releases and sets the hook. They don't work very well on a very light bite but they do hook the fish if they take the lure in. The two draw backs that I have experienced is that if the trigger gets wet and freezes, it doesn't release so you have to keep them dry or put vegetable oil on them. Also, your hole can freeze and the fish won't be able to pull the line to trip the trigger so a portable aerorator in the hole is sometimes necessary.

Posted on: 1/6 10:21:32
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
Tip ups have their time and place. It really depends on the type of trip. Usually I'm moving around looking for panfish or walleye and then I'm jigging with a dead stick next to me. The only time I really use tip ups is when I'm out kids and we're doing about 60% playing and 40% fishing, or if I'm out with a group of guys and we're doing about 80% bsing and 20% fishing. In those times it can be fun to set up on a good pike spot and let the tip ups do the work while we hang out and socialize.

Rarely do I have one out if I'm fishing real seriously.

Posted on: 1/6 10:38:25

LSF Member
They are great for lakers. I only use the Beaver Dam brand as they are super smooth and I never have trouble with them sticking. The only other time I would use them is for Pike.

Posted on: 1/6 11:42:20

LSF Member
They work out well when you are fishing unfamiliar lakes or in the glacial lakes of North and South Dakota .Most lakes out there have no contour maps so what we like to do is set up three tip ups and one jigging rod to cover more area. Once you get into them it can be a real rush!!!

Posted on: 1/6 20:06:28

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page