Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

First run wih the k-drill
LSF Member
From Edin Prairie
I finally was able to get on the ice this year. This was the first use of the new 8" k-drill. For those of you wondering if you need to get the Milwaukee Fuel...the answer is NO!!. I have all Makita tools so I figured I would go with the brushless Makita hammer drill. I only have 3 ah batteries so I thought I would give them a try. Not only did the Makita work great with the k-drill so did the 3 ah batteries. I was only able to get 10 or 11 holes per battery in 11" of ice, but with 2 batteries that was plenty of holes for me. I don't hole hop much and if I can't find fish in the first 20 - 22 holes it is time for me to go home. All in all I think it was a good test. Eventually I think I will probably get a couple 5 ah batteries but for now the 3s will be OK. For those of you wondering, I hope this report helps answer some of your questions.

I can't answer any of the questions going around about the float ability of the bit because it never came lose from the drill (thank god). I was pretty nerves though.

All in all it drills like a champ, no fuel to mess with, no smell in the back of my brand new truck, no noise to spook fish, no dealing with a gas engine that wont start...all make it well worth the purchase.

Posted on: 1/7 19:29:22
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: First run wih the k-drill
LSF Member
From Minnesota
Right on..Brand of drill is not as important as it being brush less and obviously bigger batteries more holes drilled. My buddie uses a Rigid drill and I run the Milwaukee...I swear I get more holes But then again I think my Chevy truck rides smoother than his Ford.

Posted on: 1/7 21:59:25

Hunting Field Staff
From Iron Range.
Thanks for the report, Lutzy!

From everything I have read, the main concern is that you do need a brushless drill. It sounds like a brushed motor will simply not handle the abuse. Anything over 750 inch-pounds should get the job done. I absolutely love mine(I broke down and bought the K-drill)

SL

Posted on: 1/7 22:04:23

LSF Member
Just got to take out my new K-Drill for the first time today. It ran awesome. Light, silent, swift.

I started out with Strikemaster 18 years ago. Converted to Jiffy propane two years ago, and now the K-Drill. I had the Jiffy Pro 4 Lite which weighed in around 28lbs. I think my K-Drill is around 13lbs. Pretty big difference.
I am always looking to shed weight and be more mobile. I am like Lutzy and do not drill a thousand holes. I normally drill about 12-16 max.

If you are in search of a light weight drill, this should definitely be in consideration.

Posted on: 1/7 22:15:14

LSF Member
From Edin Prairie
Another thought;
I have had 3 spine surgeries and using my SM worked but was not easy or comfortable for a guy with titanium holding his spine together. The weight is a MAJOR DIFFERENCE for someone like me. When I wanted to check several yards from my current location I could carry the drill and flasher at the same time. In the past I would have to go and drill then walk back and get the flasher and go back to check the holes. If you have back issues like me this is a game changer.

Posted on: 1/7 22:55:45

LSF Member
From St. Paul, MN
All great reports so far on the K-Drill. I think the days of the gas powered auger are going to come to an end for the average user.
What I like about the K-Drill over say an Ion is that come spring, summer, fall, I have a drill I can use for other things as opposed to just having a battery powered auger. Well that and the weight are big advantages over an electic or gas.

Posted on: 1/8 5:38:34

LSF Member
I recently just used my k-drill for the first time. Everything I have is Rigid power tools & I do have the 5amp 18V battery with the drill... The drill is 700 torque and brushless. There is good and bad with all things but for the most part I love it. I had about 11 inches of ice & got 25 holes with my big battery, in some situations I would of really liked to drill more holes but I will just have to invest in a couple more big battery's for that to happen... All in all it is a great drill, Drills damn near as fast as a gas auger. Extremely light weight and moble, Not sure if it really matters but I did make sure to keep my battery's inside with me, I'm sure they wont last as long being in the extreme cold temps but time will tell. IMO its more universal using my drill threw out the year then just have something hang in the garage for ice fishing.

Posted on: 1/8 6:46:49

LSF Member
From South Metro
Great ratings on the k-drill. A few questions on details. It seem to not spray chips all over or bring up as much water as a solid flighted auger - unless yanked out of hole. Without fear of losing auger - has anyone tried reversing the auger to push slush back down the hole?

Thanks for answering -

SD

Posted on: 1/8 8:53:25

LSF Member
From North Central MN
Quote:

SavageDaddy wrote:
Great ratings on the k-drill. A few questions on details. It seem to not spray chips all over or bring up as much water as a solid flighted auger - unless yanked out of hole. Without fear of losing auger - has anyone tried reversing the auger to push slush back down the hole?

Thanks for answering -

SD

I do that all the time. Works great!

Just read some where that a guy purchased a frisbee and drilled a hole in the middle and put that on the top of the K-drill so it would not fall through. Not a bad idea!

Posted on: 1/8 9:03:41

LSF Member
From Edin Prairie
I did not use reverse thinking I would save as much battery as I could considering I only had 3 ah batteries. I had zero chips left in the hole. I mean zero. I never had to do any scooping like I would have to do with my SM.

Posted on: 1/8 12:58:46

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page