Fishing Guides
Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Depth Finder/Ice Fishing Electronic
I am looking to buy a depth finder for my boat but also want an ice fishing flasher. I am wondering if there are any GOOD devices that can go on the boat and be used for ice fishing.

I have a 14' Aluminum Fishing Boat with a 15h Johnson on it. I am new to fishing so I know absolutely nothing. I don't know what works and what doesn't. but I figured a depth finder would help on the boat to find fish and see whats below me.

I also am beginning the ice fishing gig so I know very little there too.

any suggestions.

Posted on: 1/7 23:25:21
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Depth Finder/Ice Fishing Electronic
LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
check out the humminbird helix 7. There are a couple other threads on this forum discussing it as well!

Posted on: 1/7 23:56:02

LSF Member
From South Metro
I just bought a helix 7 for just those reasons. Wanted to upgrade both soft and hard water units. Bought the helix, ice transducer, mounted them to a "blue genz box" as seen on vexilars, now have vastly upgraded both units for half price. Nice thing with helix is you can have your lake maps right on the screen, get to your spot, switch to sonar and go! Plus have all your marked hot spots from summer!

SD

Posted on: 1/8 9:01:29

LSF Member
I have no personal experience with the Helix line but a buddy of mine has one that he uses on his boat in open water and goes portable on ice. He loves it especially with the charts that you can access. If you are looking to spend less, you can get a Vexilar FL8 for ice and then get a boat mount kit for use in open water. They have the mounts and the transducers.

Posted on: 1/8 9:55:05

LSF Member
From South Metro
The next question is - how much do you want to spend? You'll always hear "that's nice - but for $100 more you can get...". I got my Helix 7 SI on closeout with the navionics chip for $550 +tax, a decent deal I thought, now for $100 for an ice transducer, I'm good to go. Swap the unit off the boat to the ice box as needed!

SD

Posted on: 1/8 10:03:14

LSF Member
Helix 7. I also wanted a unit for my boat so this seemed like the best route. For ice fishing I was in need of a good GPS and for open water another unit to free up the screen on my helix 12.

Just know what you want for the boat. Helix models have different options such as GPS and 2d sonar; GPS, 2d sonar, and down imaging; and GPS, 2d sonar, down imaging, and side imaging.( I believe that I have that right), but it is my understanding that the 2d model will not have di or si capabilities unless it is programmed into the unit. So do some research and decide what you want and/or need for your boat before you get a unit that may not have all the capabilites you want.

I should add that I do not know what capabilities helix ice has but you would have to have a different transducer for the boat as I understand it.

Hope more will chime in there is a lot of details when it comes to electronics.

Posted on: 1/8 10:05:16

LSF Member
From mora mn
I haven't used my helix 7 for ice since I have 2 other flashers already but like it for open water in the boat. Very bright clear mapping. I see reeds in Onamia has the 9 with SI f or 550 or something like that. But that may be to big for an ice unit?

Posted on: 1/8 10:37:20

LSF Member
From Ham Lake
I just got my new Helix 7 SI CHIRP GPS G2N this weekend and mounted it to my homemade powerbox with 2 12v 9A batteries. The 7 is big and nice. I wish I could have gotten the 9 with MEGA radar as it is more like HD. Unfortunately the 9 is just too big. Make sure you study the models like they said as there are a few different models. I got the SI model for $799 and picked up a ice transducer for $80 at the show. I wanted 2 batteries to make sure I don't run out and also better balance of my powerbox as I don't want this thing tipping over. I am heading to Lower Manitou Lake in Canada Thur to try it out on some laker fishing and will give you a report. For people with Humminbird Helix experience what is the best chip to get for it? Fish a few MN/Canada border lakes mostly with it. Thanks

Posted on: 1/9 13:58:52

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page