Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Hummingbird ICE 55
LSF Member
Are you using the float? As JT said if the ducer is at an angle for any reason you can have those issues. I'm not a fan of using the float myself - I use the support cord but make sure it is clipped to the main cord so the ducer hangs as close to parallel to the bottom as possible.

Posted on: 1/9 19:41:49
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Staff Team
From Bloomington
The battery is old and I assume bad as it read %80 per the bird. I connected the charger and the light on the charger was red then green. Red meaning connected wrong or battery short.

I bought a brand new 9mah battery tonight. But when I was one the ice I connected my trolling motor battery to the bird. I could now see the jig on full gain. Before it was nothing even at full gain.

I was using the second cord. But after my conversation with them I just removed it. I also inspected the cord and cannot find any tears or rips in the cord.

Depending on snow tomorrow I may take it back out and try with the new battery. Again my last hope is to swap with a known working ducer.

Thanks for all the input!!

Posted on: 1/9 21:58:31

LSF Member
From Cloquet, MN
My money would be on the battery also, and I'm sure you'll see a major improvement this weekend.

Second outing this weekend I was on Winnie and my bird kept reading 5.whatever UNITS when everyone in my group was marking around 20 ft. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me! New battery, swapped transducers, and no change. Turns out unit was set on meters....

Posted on: 1/10 9:51:54

Staff Team
From Bloomington
If it is battery why didn't it get resolved when I connected it to a trolling motor battery? aka a good power source?

Posted on: 1/10 10:00:44

LSF Member
From South Central
I don't think its the battery or the transducer. I've used four different batteries and two transducers with mine and its always like that. I make sure the ducer is level/clean/below the ice, all the obvious stuff. Just the way they are. I normally run my gain at 45-50/50 if I have a small jig in 30 fow. Bigger things like walleye spoons I turn it down to 35-40/50. If you ever get it to work with less gain let me know how, cause I 've been using mine on high gain for years!

Posted on: 1/10 10:28:35

Staff Team
From Bloomington
The manual says gain is default at about 26. I am thinking my max was 25. Manual and above mention max of 50. I wonder if I have different software?

I will have to check that out.

Posted on: 1/10 15:14:24

LSF Member
From West Fargo, ND
If yours if topping out at 25 something is up. Mine goes to 50 as well and right around 25 is about the minimum level I can see my smallest jigs.

Posted on: 1/10 15:19:39

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Yep, mine only goes to 25. I will call them tomorrow to see what is next.

Posted on: 1/10 19:58:30

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Update.

So my ICE 55 was made in 08. It is supposed to have a gain max of 25. They now have a max of 50 but the old 25 is the same as now 50.

I explained that I changed batteries, am not using the support cable, am not in current, did not move my location or change my situation at all when it went from normal mode of gain at 8 I could see the jig as a steady line no matter where it was in the column, to hissy fit mode (my term) where it had to be at gain of 25 to see the jig. It would then return to normal for some unknown reason.

I explained that it has done this several times I did no know it was common due to my prior style of fishing which was hole hopping. I am now more stationary. As well as I have heard from others with older units having the same issue.

I asked that if I sent it in and paid $176 would it be returned fixed. Meaning this hissy mode would not return. She said they had already call the repair manager to consult on the issue and had not heard back. She said they will email me back once they talk with the repair manager.

I felt she understood it was an valid issue and she wanted to make sure she understood that is was a infrequent problem. Neither of us want it sent in with a "no trouble found" result. She also made sure that a flat rate repair would not result in my uni now having a range of 1 - 50 for gain.

I will report back when I hear the next step. I see this as a Humminbird customer service opportunity. We will see how they compare to Vex and Marcum.

Posted on: 1/11 11:57:54

LSF Member
Im looking to sell mine to buy a helix (already have a humminbird lakemaster chip so i might as well use it) let me know if you need a new one

In all seriousness though i hope everything works out

Posted on: 1/11 12:27:17

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page