Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 »

Hummingbird ICE 55
Staff Team
From Bloomington
Does anyone in the south metro, or that will be at Rush this coming weekend have a Hummingbird ICE 55 that would be willing to do some trouble shooting with mine?

I am having issues with having to have the gain all the way up to max to see my jig. I was only fishing 18 - 20 ft.

I want to momentarily swap ducers to see if the issue follows the ducer or if it stays with the head unit.

Thanks

Posted on: 1/9 14:19:39

Re: Hummingbird ICE 55
LSF Member
From Grand Forks
I have the same unit and have had some of the same trouble. I had my gain almost maxed the last two weekends but was a little deeper 28 - 30 ft. Sorry I'm not in your area, but here are a couple ideas.

Do you have it set on the wide or narrow beam (I've had better luck with the narrow setting)? The other thing I can think of is adjusting how deep you have the ducer under the ice. I've had my best luck as close to under the ice as possible, but I have noticed moving it up and down can make big difference. Lastly, make sure you're using the zoom, I couldn't see my jig without it.

YouTube has a couple videos that do a good job going over the settings. I found it a lot easier than reading the owners manual...

I really like the 55 ice when it's dialed in, but I've noticed mine can be a little inconsistent too.

Good luck, hope you get it straightened out!

Posted on: 1/9 14:37:33
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From Coon Rapids
This probably isn't your problem, but try rubbing the transducer under water to get rid of the air bubbles from when you put it in. I have a ICE 45 & 55 and knocking the air bubbles off can sometimes make a HUGE difference. good luck.

Posted on: 1/9 14:47:56

Staff Team
From Bloomington
It was fine, been using it for about 3 hours, then all of the sudden it went goofy.

I always have the ducer just at the bottom of the ice, made sure the bottom of the ducer was clean. A couple of minor scratches are there. Support didn't seem concerned about that.

I was using wide as narrow beam shows nothing even at max gain.

I talked to support and other than checking for tears in the cable housing it seems to be time to send it in. Or swap with a known working ducer.

I asked about the new ducer cost $99.99. He mentioned they do not use the support cable anymore, "the engineers determined it wasn't needed". I said "oh you mean the vexlar patent expired". He said "yep" lol

I see the ducer online for as low as $70. But it shows the support cable so I am guessing it is old stock.

Posted on: 1/9 15:22:15

LSF Member
From South Central
I bought an Ice 55 the first year they came out(2009 I think), and I have the same thing. I called and talked to customer service when it was new and they sent me a new transducer. It didn't do anything different than the original. I just use mine with the gain cranked most of the way up all the time. Strange I know, but it works so I just keep using it. Doesn't seem to effect the battery any, because I still get similar user time out of my Bird as my Dad does out of his Vexilar.

Posted on: 1/9 16:40:23

Staff Team
From Bloomington
Wow PB that is odd.

It is a $176 flat fee. That is shipping and repairs. But if it is the ducer then it would only be at most $100.

I love the unit but don't want to throw $ at it unnecessarily.

With Marcum being local you can just drive up there and they diagnose it while you wait and then it is $80. Normally get it fixed while you wait or next day.

Posted on: 1/9 17:05:03

LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
Do you have the second cord on it?

Posted on: 1/9 17:36:08

LSF Member
Dumb, but simple question, but is your battery charged? Yesterday my Marcum stopped showing my jig and bottom due to the battery being dead.

Posted on: 1/9 17:41:03

LSF Member
From Maple Grove
MasterGopherHunter brought up a good point. I would first check your battery if you have not. I have the 35 and last year mine would go nuts about an hour into using it. Got a new battery and everything is good again. A bad battery can make your unit do some weird things.

Posted on: 1/9 17:51:29

LSF Member
From Mora - Knife lake
Reason I asked about the second cord is that it does not allow the transducer to hang straight up and down and this causes the cone to be aimed off to the side. I purchased a Marcum arm for my hummingbird, as coming from using a Marcum I had to have that arm for transducer placement control.

Posted on: 1/9 19:17:41

(1) 2 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page