Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

How to keep lock from freezing on skid house
LSF Member
From Princeton
I recently replaced a lock on a skid house I purchased last year. I had some issues trying to get it to open last year. Key was difficult to get in.

this year I put a Dexter by schlage on when I was up two weeks ago. I let a friend use it last weekend and he said they could not get the key in when they arrived. He was able to pop the latch open with a knife. After heating the house up he heated the lock up with a torch until he was able to get the key to work. He said they went into shore for dinner later that day and when they returned could not get the key to work again.

He thought maybe the vent free heater was producing a lot of moisture that was getting into the lock. Anyone experience this problem before or have any suggestions??

Posted on: 1/10 15:10:16
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: How to keep lock from freezing on skid house
LSF Member
From Crystal, MN
Squirt some lock de-icer into it.

Put a bag/rubber band or tennis ball over the lock to prevent rain/snow melt from getting in.

Posted on: 1/10 15:41:46

LSF Member
It happens on any house. I had a skidhouse and now have an ice castle and happens almost every time. I always bring a torch but I have heard you can put a tennis ball on the door handle to keep that from getting frozen but a couple seconds with a torch seems to be the easiest for me.

Posted on: 1/10 15:43:10

LSF Member
From Wahkon,MN
Always carry a cig lighter in every jacket. Besides being a safety/survival item you can heat the key up and hold it to the lock. May have to repeat the heat hold process a few times but it will get you by in a pinch. cars, padlocks, house doors are all prone to internal freezing from water/moisture intrusion.

carb and choke cleaner will also get rid of ice in locks, the tiny straw helps to get it where you need it.

Not any solutions to fix the issue but ways to gain access when this sort of problem arises.

Your buddy could be right with the cause of the issue being the high moisture.

Posted on: 1/10 15:52:21

Tennis Ball works great!

Cut aabout a 1-1/4" hole in a tennis ball and press it over the knob.

Posted on: 1/10 16:14:06

Staff Team
From Bloomington
"you learn more here by mistake......"

Good to know about the tennis ball idea.

Posted on: 1/10 17:35:35

LSF Member
Carry some carb cleaner with you in the truck spray some in the lock it will melt the ice and push the moisture out of the lock cylinder let it dry and spray some lube in it just don't use wd40 it will collect road grim

Posted on: 1/10 19:55:11

LSF Member
From Minneapolis, MN / North Shore of Mille Lacs
I had this problem before on my old wheel houses. I found that after thawing it out with a torch, spraying some silicone lubricant into the key cylinder helped to keep it from freezing up. Make sure to work it in there with the key after spraying it. This seemed to help prevent the ice/water from sticking. I did have to do this 2-3 times a year.

Posted on: 1/10 20:14:52

Pro Staff
From walker
used to have this problem all the time, then switched to vented heaters. Still get a little sticky some times but not as bad.

Posted on: 1/10 20:26:06
www.walleyetrips.com
Fish house rental - www.leechlakeicefishing.com
218-368-6424

LSF Member
I use a tennis ball with marginal results. Mines caused because the house is so tight the furnace tries to get air any way it can. My house sucks it thru the lock and around the door. Put a vent in somewhere by the stove and I bet the problem goes away. Put it close or you'll feel the cold air moving thru the house.

Posted on: 1/11 21:24:00

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page