Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 »

Metro Lakes: Dirty and Overfished
LSF Member
From Plato, MN
The title pretty much says it all, and I'm not trying to be provocative. I was talking with a family member of mine last night who lives down in Florida, and naturally the topic of fishing came up. He's never fished in MN before and when he asked me to describe the fishing opportunities in the metro area that's the first thought that came to my mind. I didn't tell him that, but I can't get the thought out of my head now and it's kind of depressing. Let's be honest, the water quality on any given metro lake is not really something to brag about, and the fishing tends to be hot and cold, mostly because when there's a hot bite somewhere everybody and their brother is out there hammering the fish until it dies down and they move on to the next lake. When I drive by a lake and see 50+ ice houses all clustered together an arms length apart I can't help but wonder what's the point? Anyways I just thought I would share this thought as I ponder the future of fishing in MN. Comments welcome

Posted on: 1/11 8:37:36
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Metro Lakes: Dirty and Overfished
LSF Member
From Chanhassen
There are definitely examples of what you are referring to out there. At the same time, I'm experiencing some of the best walleye fishing I've ever had (anywhere in the state) on a metro lake this winter. Nobody within two hundred yards of me even on weekends.

Meanwhile, the number of fishing and hunting license sales continues to go down almost every year. The next generation is not embracing fishing like previous ones. If this pace continues, you are going to see fewer people on the ice as the years go on. Take a look around; how many people do you know under the age of 25 that have interest in fishing? They are certainly out there but nowhere near the numbers there were 40 years ago.

Posted on: 1/11 9:30:52

LSF Member
From West Metro
When I think of dirty and metro lake the first thing that comes to mind is all the trash that gets left behind during ice season. That drives me nuts.

I agree that if the masses find out about a hot bite it gets pounded and usually the lake gets fished out quick. A few years ago there was a good bite for big sunfish on a lake in Chanhassen. There were 30-50 trucks out on a 200ish acre lake every day all ice season. The lake hasn't been the same since. It's a bummer but that's just the way it is in high population areas.

Iceiceguy, it sounds like you've got it made!

Posted on: 1/11 10:41:12

LSF Member
Quote:

YellowSubmarine wrote:
The title pretty much says it all, and I'm not trying to be provocative. I was talking with a family member of mine last night who lives down in Florida, and naturally the topic of fishing came up. He's never fished in MN before and when he asked me to describe the fishing opportunities in the metro area that's the first thought that came to my mind. I didn't tell him that, but I can't get the thought out of my head now and it's kind of depressing. Let's be honest, the water quality on any given metro lake is not really something to brag about, and the fishing tends to be hot and cold, mostly because when there's a hot bite somewhere everybody and their brother is out there hammering the fish until it dies down and they move on to the next lake. When I drive by a lake and see 50+ ice houses all clustered together an arms length apart I can't help but wonder what's the point? Anyways I just thought I would share this thought as I ponder the future of fishing in MN. Comments welcome

I guess I don't see anything wrong....maybe wrong is not the right word, but it's a metro area. It's busy for everything. A typical house in Minneapolis is probably 5-10' away from a neighbor. Tables at restaurants tend to be so close it can be hard to walk by. Even a perkins can have a 45 minute wait. Have you sat on a bs or used the Light Rail? What I'm getting at, like all metro areas, there is no personal space.

You can't compare a metro lake to one 100 miles away...unless it's a popular lake with no remanding lake front like Mille lacs, Big Sandy, Cross, Gull...One day on Mille Lacs, I could have jumped from boat to boat for about a 1/4 mile...when a bite is HOT, people will be there.

Posted on: 1/11 11:54:01

Staff Team
From Bloomington
I think the was of fishing are going to change.

There are fewer lic sold. To the point the DNR is trying to push the next generation to get involved, at the same time to get quality fishing you need to go farther away. I see it as electronics have changed the game. They make everyone more successful and people still want to keep a limit or have enough to eat. I don't see that continuing. When a person can find a small rock pile (size of a car) on Mille Lacs over and over, determine a 24" Walleye is sitting there and catch that fish. Now you can have you boat follow a couture line while it drives you to that rock pile. That technology is a game changer.

The DNR has recently talked about changing limits. I see it as going to mainly catch and release in the future. Doesn't matter if the lake is clean or dirty most lakes are over fished by that fact people remove fish faster than they can be replaced by nature or man.

Posted on: 1/11 12:08:16

LSF Member
Quote:

orandausa wrote:
I think the was of fishing are going to change.

There are fewer lic sold. To the point the DNR is trying to push the next generation to get involved, at the same time to get quality fishing you need to go farther away. I see it as electronics have changed the game. They make everyone more successful and people still want to keep a limit or have enough to eat. I don't see that continuing. When a person can find a small rock pile (size of a car) on Mille Lacs over and over, determine a 24" Walleye is sitting there and catch that fish. Now you can have you boat follow a couture line while it drives you to that rock pile. That technology is a game changer.

The DNR has recently talked about changing limits. I see it as going to mainly catch and release in the future. Doesn't matter if the lake is clean or dirty most lakes are over fished by that fact people remove fish faster than they can be replaced by nature or man.

I agree with some of your thoughts, but not so much with others.

This C&R and Reduced Bag limits?

Tag that with less licenses being sold year after year, and just how does that make sense?

Are fewer anglers keeping more fish? I'm skeptical to say the least.

Anglers that I talk to, more and more, are only keeping a meal of whatever, because here, where you can go get that meal about when you feel like it, why freeze them and have them not taste as good.

I believe that the constant pressure on "spots" has changed how the fish are relating to those spots. JMO

Now the DNR is likely to go out an putz with what they still don't understand, and we will end up with lakes filled with Stunted fish because the people that remain fishing will get brainwashed into thinking throwing EVERYTHING back is a Good Thing.

Posted on: 1/11 12:23:11

From Land O Lakes
99% of my walleyes come from the N Metro, only reason i go to the premier lakes is for a getaway with the buddies... I think the metro water (dont forget the sippi) get a bad rap because they are alot more difficult to fish And on the slot topic, I have some family that used to fish but cant anymore. So i enjoy cooking fish for them occasionally, I only keep fish under 20". I personally would like a 6 fish in the freezer rule but 4 fish daily limit. Not trying to piss anybody off just my preference

Posted on: 1/11 13:29:53

LSF Member
From central mn
One thing for sure in regards to metro lakes besides the trash that slobs leave eyery winter is the lakes are polluted,check the dnr consumption reports on any lake and you'll see the metro lakes are the worst,we have chemical run off all year from lake shore owners to street/hiway run off all winter.

Posted on: 1/11 14:27:36

LSF Member
I somewhat concur. Everyone is putting good points on here. I definitely hate the trash that's left behind during ice and open water. I pick up after these slobs every time i see it, because the lakes or rivers that i see it at, i go there often.

As for the congested village of houses on the lakes, it really depends. When i first started ice fishing years back, i didn't know where to go. I went where the villages are at. However, just because there's a village doesn't mean that there's a hot bite. I seen people get skunk with 50 houses next to each other.
Other times you have places like mille lacs. Any post/pictures of fishes out of the lake, the resorts are blowing it up on social media and everywhere else. They want the business, the more fishermen the more money they make.
As for Fish in the metro, there's still plenty of good fish around. Its just not as easy to get too. Electronics definitely changed the game, so have mobility. And yes, the metro is always congested.

Posted on: 1/11 15:01:03

LSF Member
From Plato, MN
I agree with a lot of the stated points, I'm not entirely sure where I was hoping to go with this post. I guess it's just something that's been on my mind lately. I love fishing, I could do it all day everyday. Literally. Within the last few years I've started shying away from fishing the metro area primarily taking trips up along the north shore and the bwca area. It just seems to me that it's not worth all the time and effort to battle the crowds to catch a handful a fish out of runoff infested waters. And that means I fish less. And that bums me out. Hence this post. These are just my thoughts and opinions

Posted on: 1/11 15:56:07

(1) 2 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page