Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: Big buddy heater
LSF Member
From Crystal, MN
Big Buddy. Love mine. I also have a regular Buddy. The smaller one never gets used. It's a backup.

Posted on: 2017/1/17 13:24
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From On the fish!
Thanks guys I'm heating my command post insulated shelter my dad has the small one and it can't keep up if it's below 10deg my buddies swear by the big so I'm gonna give it a try

Posted on: 2017/1/17 13:29

LSF Member
I have the 10' line which you are supposed to be able to use without a filter but with the 5' and 12' line you are supposed to use a filter. Anyone know why? Do I need a regulator with the 10' line. having issues but used the canister's for awhile without a filter so may be causing my own problems. Still having problems. Lights on high but then goes out after awhile. I have cleaned the pilot and blew out dust so will try again soon. Any other suggestions?

Posted on: 1/30 11:51:46

LSF Member
My understanding is that whether or not you need a filter depends on whether your hose has a regulator on it or not. One hose has a regulator on the tank end and a quick connect on the other. The other type has no regulator and threads into the heater's built in regulator. The latter type requires a filter because the high pressure in the hose can force debris into the heater. The hose with the regulator at the tank doesn't have that problem because the pressure in the hose itself is too low. Again, this is my understanding. I do think the regulated hose is the better option. The only drawbacks are the potential for the tank mounted regulator to freeze if the tank is outside in very cold weather, and the time it takes to purge the air out of the hose on the initial light up.

Posted on: 1/30 12:43:56

LSF Member
I bought a 12' hose with regulator and 3/8 quick connect for my big buddy. Got home and found out my big buddy doesn't have the quick connect fitting at all to connect it. Am I looking in the wrong place or could this possibly be an older model that just doesn't have the quick connect fitting?

Also, any know of any adapter I can buy so my hose is compatible with my big buddy?

Posted on: 1/30 13:01:39

Staff Team
From Bloomington
If you are looking at the front of the heater the quick connect is in the left side door.

http://www.mrheater.com/downloads/dl/file/id/134/mr_heater_hfa_guide_2015.pdf

Attach file:

jpg  buddyquick.jpg (85.60 KB)
5905_5a70d68c772fb.jpg 985X369 px

Posted on: 1/30 15:33:22

LSF Member
Big buddy is plenty of heat in my uninsulated northland 4x8' spearhouse in -20f. No filter with 5' hose and no issues.

Posted on: 1/30 18:54:50

LSF Member
Huh. I checked both sides in that exact spot and no fitting for it. I guess I have an older one or something. Thanks for the info anyway!

Posted on: 1/31 9:24:31

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page