Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

Shallow Water
Hi,

I hear a lot about the shallow bite and I was just curious if this is referring to the shallow water right near shore or if it means the top of a reef surrounded by deeper water a little more offshore. Or both? Will be out on southeast end Friday til Sunday then south west side Sunday until Tuesday.

I plan on driving and setting up on top of a reef in 10 to 12 fow about 1.5 miles from the launch Friday night around 9pm, fish their throughout the night then explore deeper water all day Saturday. Saturday night will either go back to the shallow water or of I find fish during the day, setup near them for the night bite? Then Sunday have a sleeper rented with rocky reef resort where I will run and gun during the day and stay shallow at night.

Sound like an okay plan for success? Will be my first time out with my girlfriend, only been to the lake twice and both were over ten years ago. Haven't caught a Mille lacs walleye and would love to put her on some decent action.

Thanks for any and all input. Feel free to message me or email.

Posted on: 2/7 22:32:35
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Shallow Water
LSF Member
If you ask me any shallow point next to sharp drop may it be off shore or flat. you cant go wrong.

Posted on: 2/7 22:45:07

Thank you for your help, that's exactly the confirmation I was looking for. Also, how crowded will it be on the top of the reefs around 1 or 2 miles offshore? Also any cracks to watch out for? Looks to be a warm weekend.

Posted on: 2/7 22:57:07

LSF Member
in the box

Posted on: 2/8 0:10:09

LSF Member
Get ready for some big girls

Posted on: 2/8 1:11:47

LSF Member
I am also going to be up on the big pond Friday-Sunday, this fall of shallow water is really making me think about giving it a try. Always seems like a gamble yo try walleyes shallow, but I'm a gambling man

Posted on: 2/8 9:25:04

LSF Member
my experience is that the shallow water fish are only there for so long, once you catch'em in the reefs, they don't stay there much longer.
I've had better luck staying overnight out on the deep edges of structure and wait for them to come in one by one. Daytime bite has been on the top of structure but you definitely have to work for them. good luck.

Posted on: 2/8 15:33:32

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page