Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Lake Winnipeg travel
From Moorhead, MN
I was wondering what everybody is using to get around on Lake Winnipeg?
I heard that there was not a lot of snow, which would not be good with sleds.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Posted on: 2/11 9:05:51
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

Re: Lake Winnipeg travel
LSF Member
From Pelican Rapids MN
I was there a week and a half ago, truck travel was the best 5-15 mph, east or west side had rock hard frozen slush. Guys on sleds were beat up, and tracks were worse, we left my side by side on the trailer.

Posted on: 2/11 17:53:29

LSF Member
I fish the lake probably twice a week. I love my truck so leave it in the parking lot. Yes lots of truck travel on the lake. Yesterday sunday the 12th Feb there were several new cracks that guys with trucks were really restricted, sure some were lucky and able to get to where they wanted to go but others were totally blocked.
Yes in January we had a thaw and the snow got rock hard but we have had enough to use our sleds. Quads with tracks are also good.
Weather conditions can and will change what transport one can use so it is good to check

Right now I would recommend sleds. There is plenty of snow to lubricant the runners. (Miss my OLD boggie wheels)

Also lots more heaves showing up, as well as some big girls.

Posted on: 2/13 14:54:03

LSF Member
From Fargo, ND
We were up there over the weekend and sleds would be the best option right now. The ice is very rough and travel is slow going. We had a ranger with tracks and could only go about 10mph. It took us at least 30 minutes to get out to the mouth of the river from Warner.

Posted on: 2/13 15:51:04

LSF Member
We have had a week of above freezing so most if not all the snow on the lake is gone. Yesterday (monday) it was a layer of water. Forcast is for freezing Temps starting mid week so it should be smooth ice. With being the case I will e switching to my quad. THE only issue wull be the cracks and pressure ridge. We were out 6 km NW of Pat Beach and saw trucks driving which had come from Balsalm harbour.

Posted on: 2/21 9:30:35

LSF Member
From Buffalo, MN
Thanks for the report Canuck. Heading up tomorrow with a ranger, a ranger on tracks and a wheeler. Would you say to start on the east or west side?

Posted on: 2/21 9:47:54

LSF Member
Personally I am an east side guy. There is a ridge on the south side of basin about a mile off shore. This might prevent a ranger from crossing until the weekend so depending where you are headed I would suggest going off of Balsalm harbour. There were several rangers with tracks off of Patricia beach yesterday but I think they stayed south of this ridge. Myself I am fishing north of it.

Posted on: 2/21 9:57:08

LSF Member
From Buffalo, MN
This is our first time up there, so it is all a learning trip for us. The info I have gotten so far was to either go out of Balsom or Warner Rd. My waypoints from a few buddies are about 1.5-3 miles north of the mouth.

Posted on: 2/21 10:27:00

LSF Member
I forgot one thing. BRING ICE CLEATS if you don't want to go for a spill.
Lots of flow in the Red sooooo the water at the mouth is dirty. My recommendation would be go deep, go PINK and fish the hooks along the ice pressure ridges

Posted on: 2/21 15:14:53

LSF Member
From West Fargo
We are headed up Friday to fish on Sat & Sun. Should I bring the Ranger with tracks or am I better off taking the tracks off the ranger and running it with wheels and chains? Of just leave the Ranger at home and bring the pickup?

Posted on: 2/21 20:25:32

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page