Bait & Tackle Shops
Products & Services
Important Links
Classified Ads
Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Devils Lake - First Time
F6firecat - how was travel on devils? Never been up there, heading up on thu, trying to decide if we need sleds, or if truck travel will be okay. Usually do a SD trip, but with warm up, and ice being sketchier there, decided to head to ND. Any insight you could provide would be welcome, could p.m. me if you want.

Posted on: 2/21 14:07:48
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
That's a tough question Cyfish1. While we were there, the guides used 4x4 Suburbans and I never felt like we were going to have any trouble going anywhere we needed to go. That being said, there was 10" or so of snow on top of 10" or so of slush. It was SLOPPY! And we did here of a truck out of the Woodland resort got stuck in a slush hole and needed assistance to get unstuck. If it stayed warm, I would say a truck would be fine, no issues, within reason. But since it is supposed to cool down below freezing, I think it is going to be a mess, frozen slush, then your guess is as good as mine. And I think the snow will be melted down enough that snowmobile travel may be tough too. So, sorry, but I can't really give you a good suggestion. If it were me, I would plan on snowmobile travel over truck travel, but that is a big guess....

Posted on: 2/21 14:38:35

LSF Member
From central mn
Just my 2cents on the devils bite, 6 mile has been getting hit hard this year. It started with a decent bite that got better. A lot of guides have been sitting in there all winter. I had a friend out there get approached by a guide on the ice who told him that his clients alone had taken 2500+ perch from 6 mile this year. Not saying there aren't still a lot of fish there, but, it's a big lake................

Posted on: 2/21 20:41:54

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
Quote:

pailofperch wrote:
Just my 2cents on the devils bite, 6 mile has been getting hit hard this year. It started with a decent bite that got better. A lot of guides have been sitting in there all winter. I had a friend out there get approached by a guide on the ice who told him that his clients alone had taken 2500+ perch from 6 mile this year. Not saying there aren't still a lot of fish there, but, it's a big lake................

I call BS on that one. Most of the guides are not posting reports and the ones that are are not lighting the world on fire. The traffic on 6 mile is not any more than normal and if they were pulling numbers like that it would be a mile to get on the lake from the road and not 5-10 vehicles.

Posted on: 2/21 23:11:11
Catfish University

LSF Member
From Larimore North Dakota
Quote:

pailofperch wrote:

I know that they haven't been setting the world on fire on Devils this year, but 2500 isn't that big of a number. Most guide services have 3 guides working for them, and they have fishing 50+ ice days this year. and take at least 2 clients each day. Math on that (2500/3/50/2=8.3333) comes to be less then 9 perch per customer per day.

And remember some days guides have more then 2 clients.

That being said, I am right there with them averaging about 8 perch per outing when I target them. Devils is always good fishing, this year just has been a tough one with all the forage in the lake.

Esox

Posted on: 2/22 10:12:31

LSF Member
From central mn
Quote:

cateyepike wrote:
Quote:

pailofperch wrote:

I call BS on that one. Most of the guides are not posting reports and the ones that are are not lighting the world on fire. The traffic on 6 mile is not any more than normal and if they were pulling numbers like that it would be a mile to get on the lake from the road and not 5-10 vehicles.

Last year I saw perch patrol on the north end of East bay with 10 trucks with 20 portables all fishing in about a 200 hard diameter circle. I was on the lake for 4 days straight, and they were in that spot for 3. With 2 guys per portable and even figuring only 10 perch per guy, that's 400 per day, x3 days is 1200. So 2500 in a month+ shouldn't be to hard to imagine. All I was saying is I know a bunch of guys who have gone to, or been pointed to 6 mile, and seen some guides, and talked with some as well, with that kinda pressure it can be negative on the fishing. Might be a better bite around the next bend is all. I'm hoping to be out there in the next week or so, and maybe, just maybe, land on a goldmine. Good luck to anyone heading out!

Posted on: 2/22 22:29:35

LSF Member
Can almost guarantee you that guides clients didn't average 8 fish per person/per day this past weekend. One group of 6 clients had ZERO fish on Sunday, for the day.

And I will agree with the statement that fishing is tough this year because of the excess of forage. I have never seen a Vexilar so lit up with fish before in my life, but getting them to bite was a whole different story. There are plenty of fish down there, just have to get them to bite. Just wish our guide would have tried a little harder.....

Posted on: 2/23 7:45:27

LSF Member
any updates on the Devils Lake area?

will be heading up there to fish Friday Saturday and Sunday.

Heard some stump lake rumors.

Posted on: 3/2 11:18:37

Pro Staff
From Grand Forks, North Dakota
I hear Stump has been very good the past two weeks.

I talked to a guide buddy the other day and sounds like ice is in great shape. I will also be heading out Friday thru Sunday.

Posted on: 3/2 12:20:40
Catfish University

LSF Member
From Duluth
Talking about fish at the restaurant last night and family friend showed me a picture of a 6-8' stainless steel fish cleaning table with at least 40 jumbo perch,nice ones. Just got back. I think there was 4 in the group. Perch patrol is the way to go he said. Good luck

Posted on: 3/3 17:07:12

« 1 (2) 3 »

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page