Contact Us & More
Minnesota Fishing Reports

« 1 (2)

Re: 2017-18 walleye regulations
LSF Member
From Manitowoc county
Quote:

HawgFarmer wrote:
Does anyone know about the forage situation in the lake? Based on the way folks have been catching them through the ice makes me think that forage populations are somewhat down relative to the huge 12-15" walleye population.

If this population eats themselves out of the lake, will turn to fingerlings next? It seems like it would be smart to get some of these little guys into people's freezers to take pressure off of that narrow band of forage.

LOGICAL, have you followed our dnr practices before? Politics first Biology second that is the management plan.

Posted on: 2/17 15:02:41
Transfer the post to other applications Transfer

LSF Member
From West side
We wondered what was going on this winter. We caught hundreds of fish & all were really fat. So if they are so fat why are they hungry? Why are they hitting anything we throw at them? Did the forage collapse after they got fat? I put the camera down once & saw lots of small perch so I don't understand.

Posted on: 2/17 15:04:20

LSF Member
Quote:

blipfix wrote:
As one that fished 3 days every week all winter season & caught so many nice fat walleyes from 13 to 26" I am surprised at this report. I caught one slot walleye all winter & am not kidding when I say I caught more fish this season than during any recent season. I would really appreciate the DNR telling us what they think is going on because I don't get it. The one thing that did concern me was how few small walleyes I caught.

See it's interesting to hear all the different sides to this. As a C&R fisherman by practice... this has been an outstanding year on ML. I no longer feel the need to make the hike to LOTW. I can drive a couple hours to ML and catch PB walleyes. So to me, keep doing what their doing.

But I don't know anything about the lake environment and what is needed. I only assume those who get paid the big bucks do, and in my mind whatever they'd done seems to have helps as I'm pulling up walleyes ranging from 13" to 30" from December to January.

Posted on: 2/17 15:29:53

LSF Member
From Secret X
Quote:

blipfix wrote:
As one that fished 3 days every week all winter season & caught so many nice fat walleyes from 13 to 26" I am surprised at this report. I caught one slot walleye all winter & am not kidding when I say I caught more fish this season than during any recent season. I would really appreciate the DNR telling us what they think is going on because I don't get it. The one thing that did concern me was how few small walleyes I caught.[/quote

That is there thinking behind it. Waiting for the huge year classes to grow up and spawn. Lots of 14-17"fish in there right now. And I have yet to reel in a skinny fish this winter too. Just fatties. I just hope they open it up for some keepers in 2018. Whenever they decide to allow keepers again it will be just like the past...you will be able to walk across the lake boat to boat.

Posted on: 2/17 17:16:51

LSF Member
Hopefully the perch do well so the fish don't start cannibalizing the babies. Fat fish is a good sign. When the walleyes get skinny like they did when this whole problem started that is when we should be really worried.

It's refreshing to see people talk about the forage on here...instead of the same ole nets! nets! nets! that is so common on this forum from the same 5-10 posters.

Posted on: 2/17 17:34:46

LSF Member
As of the last 5or more years perch have been a nonfactor as far as forage fish......only two ALL year no giant schools of yoy perch.Seems to me since Zebras the water is continually getting clearer and the perch population has been on a downward slope due to less biomass.Less zooplancton=less for small fish to eat=less forage for the yoy perch.Sucks viscious cycle!!!!!!I like we've been catching plenty of tullibee this year!!!!!!!!I hope too, that the perch will rebound!!!!!!!!c63

Attach file:

jpg  20170116_162925.jpg (285.42 KB)
20388_58a77d2d3f81a.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2/17 17:46:17

LSF Member
From Bloomington-Osakis

Posted on: 2/18 16:44:54

« 1 (2)

[Advanced Search]

Copyright 2004-2013 Lake State Fishing P.O. Box 577 Deerwood, MN 56444 612-414-5593
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. |  Lake State Fishing |   Login lakestatefishing.com Facebook Page lakestatefishing.com Twitter Page lakestatefishing.com LinkedIn Page lakestatefishing.com YouTube Page